Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Can you provide phone assistance to install VMWare Fusion

Customer Question

Can you provide phone assistance to install VMWare Fusion 3.0?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What type of Mac are you using ? (Intel or PPC)

What happens when you install VMWare ? Any Errors ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MacBook Pro, VMWare 2.06 works fine most of the time, but 3.0 did not display any windows, I saw nothing but the desktop
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Which OS are you trying to install with VMWare ? Windows ? Linux ? or ??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am running Windows XP Pro, and upgrading from 2.06 to 3.0, so not re-installing XP
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We don't provide Phone assistance,its against rules. We can only communicate in this thread.

Okay...So you just updated into VMWare Fusion 3 from 2.06 and you can't load Windows XP Pro in VM 3.0. Right ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, Win XP loads fine, but VMWare Fusion 3.0 only displays the desktop. No windows appear when clicked on. For example, when I click on My Documents, nothing comes up.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to ask questions...You installed Windows XP on your VMWare 2.06 version, then you upgraded into VMWare 3.0. Now VM 3.0 can load Win XP fine and it shows the desktop of Windows XP Desktop without any problem. But you can't go any further from here. Is this right ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is right
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Two more question,

Can you use/access Start Menu ?

Do you have the Windows XP installation disks ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I can't get into a Unity to access the Start Menu, nothing seems to work properly as it did in 2.06. I do not have the XP install disks (installed by company years ago), but would also like to explore upgrading to Windows 7.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We need the disks to repair your XP. I'm not sure we can fix it without the disks. Okay..try these;

Close VMWare and start it again. Load XP and immediately hold down the F8 Key. At the Advanced Options Menu select the option for Safe Mode and press Enter.It will take awhile to boot into SafeMode. Let me know how it goes before Accepting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows is installing an update while it's shutting down...will be a few minutes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows will not let me start in Safe Mode. When I start up, a window appears (always has) stating that it can't find the floppy drive. Then another window appears with a choice for Docked Profile or Profile 1. I hit F8 immediately after starting VMWare, but it does not go into a Safe Mode choice screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Since you have a Macbook Pro, the F8 key will not work without pressing down the fn key.

Also, the boot time of Windows may have set to 0, i.e Windows will start very fastly when you start VM, so you need speed and focus to do this. Restart VM and immediately press Fn + F8 (like a million times) till you see the advanced startup options including safe mode. Try this till you get the SafeMode boot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unable to get this to work, will try again later this afternoon
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I don't think we can make it work without the disks...Is there anyway to get the disks ?

And you said that you like to upgrade to Windows 7, Its a great idea to upgrade into Windows 7.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure about the disks, I will check. Can I upgrade to Win 7 thru VMWare?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I didn't tried Windows 7 in VMWare yet. So, i'm not sure about it. I saw many work-arounds to install Windows 7 on Mac using VMWare. Check Here
Hopefully you can upgrade your Windows XP into Windows 7 without any problems

(It would be better to backup all of your important files before upgrading into Windows 7)

You can also install Windows 7 on your Mac using BootCamp

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Ashik on 11/13/2009 at 8:07 PM EST
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After I bootup in safe mode, should I try to install VMWare Fusion 3.0 then or is there another step first?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
No you don't have to reinstall VMWare Fusion, if you start Windows in safemode, it will fix most of the errors automatiaclly. So are you able to boot into safe mode ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did. I then reinstalled v3.0, which worked, but it is very flakey. I had difficulty getting v3.0 to allow me to use Unity view mode. Finally, I have uninstalled v3.0 and reinstalled v2.06 which is much more stable. Thanks again for your assistance.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure why VMWare 3 not working, may be we need to reinstall XP in VMWare 3 to make it work. Anyway, when you purchase Windows 7, install it with VMWare 3.

Thanks for Accepting my answer. Have a great day !Smile

Best Regards,