Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

I have followed procedures to reset the SMC chip and my Firewire-conne

I have followed procedures to reset the SMC chip and my Firewire-connected external drive now appears in System Profiler. But it still does not appear in the device list and Time Machine cannot connect. Any suggestions? (in Intel duo core iMac w/ Mac OS X 10.5.8)
HelloCustomer

The directory on the drive might need to be rebuilt. Let's try this:

1) Open Applications folder > Utilities > Disk Utility
2) Find your drive in the list on the left and click on it
3) Click the First Aid tab and click the "Repair Disk" button
4) Note any errors you receive and let me know what happens.

I hope this helps! Let me know what happens. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Shawn. I was surprised when Disk Utility found the external drive this time (I had tried before without success). Unfortunately, Repair Disk tried, but eventually returned the following error message, "Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed." Is there anything else I can do?

Don
Don,

Is there anything you care about on the external drive? If not, then we can erase the drive and see if that fixes it.

Let me know and I'll help you in either direction.

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was afraid you were going to say that. It is aXXXXXthat holds my Time Machine backups for this iMac (I currently do not have another drive to attach). My iMac appears otherwise healthy, but I would be very sad if it failed while I was in the process of reestablishing a backup. I think I will go out right now and buy another drive, connect it, start Time Machine on the new drive, and THEN wipe the old drive so I can use it thereafter. If you agree this is the best approach, please outline the steps for erasing the old drive and I will accept your answer. Thanks for the help!

Don
Don,

I've been in the exact same situation with my drives and Time Machine. It's very frustrating!

Did Disk Utility give an error code number besides the message that you sent me before? It might help us figure out if there's a software fix without reformatting.

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, just the cryptic message I sent earlier. What did you do to solve?
Don,

I repair enough computers that I use a few utility programs to repair hard drives. For this problem, I would run Drive Genius 2 http://www.prosofteng.com/products/

and Verify the hard drive. There's a free demo available online that has a Verify feature. You might try downloading the demo and seeing if the Verify will give you any more details on the problem. However, to fix the problem you'd probably have to buy the program, and it's not guaranteed to fix it (particularly if the problem is a hardware failure).

In a nutshell you have 2 choices: 1) Buy a new hard drive, back up, and then try reformatting the old drive (which may be bad). Or, 2) Try verifying with Drive Genius, and potentially buy it (for $100) to fix the problem on the drive.

Let me know what you decide, and if there's any way I can help more. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn,

I understand. Where I worked before I had access to Drive Genius and used it occasionally. I will probably be able to get my current employer to purchase a copy (I use a Mac at work also) so either way, the problem will be resolved. Thank you for your help in getting to this point. Best regards,

Don