Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I need to be able to reformat a DVD file so that it can be

Customer Question

I need to be able to reformat a DVD file so that it can be read as a movie file. iMovie will not open the DVD files produced by my Sony cam corder.

I'm at a real dead end here (Sony has been no help and I can't figure out how to even contact Apple) so any help here would be most welcome.

XXXXX XXXXX
Key Largo, Florida
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What version of iMovie are you using ?

What is the model number of your camcorder ?

Can you insert the DVD disk into your Mac and does the disk plays in DVD Player application ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using iMovie 4. What I am trying to do is open DVD files in a program called Motion Pro, which reads Mac movie files. The files that came with the program all end in .mov (dot mov). So I am less concerned with using iMovie than with translating my DVD files to the dot mov format.

My Sony Cam Corder is a DCR-DVD308. It is supposed to connect to my G4 iBook with a USB cable but Sony tells me that the DVD308 is not compatible with the Mac OS system I am running.

The DVD disk created by the DVD308 is a mini. I have an external Sony CD drive that takes both the regular size and the mini. And, yes, the DVD files play just find using the DVD player.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did Ashik get my answers to his question?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Yes, i got your reply..So you want to convert the DVD videos into *.mov format. Right ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right. I really don't care if my version of iMovie reads the converted files, just so they are in the dot mov format.

Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Okay...Could you please give me the format/extension of the video files of the DVD ?

(Insert the DVD Disk into your Sony Drive and Connect it into your Mac. The drive should mount on the desktop. Open it and right click (control + click) on any file inside the disk and select "Get Info". You can see the format/suffix under the window like video.vob , video.bup etc)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I open the mini-DVD I get a folder called VIDEO_TS.

The files in that folder are as follows:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFP
VTS_01_1.VOB

That's all that's in the folder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any more information you need at this point?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Nope, your information is great ! I'm writing the answer, i will post it as soon as possible. Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
First download and install these application on your Mac. All these software are free to download and use...

Handbrake : Download Handbrake
MPEG Streamclip
: MPEG Streamclip
VLC Player : Download VLC Player

Now follow the steps below :
  • Open Handbrake, and it will automatically asks you to select the DVD. So select the DVD video and click Open
graphic
  • Adjust the settings like as shown in the picture below and press the start button to start the process of conversion
graphic
  • You can see the converting process on the bottom and when its completed you'll get a dialogbox like this.
graphic
  • Close Handbrake and you can see the video file saved on the location that you provided (destination). Normally the video file will be saved on the desktop.
  • Now, open MPEG Streamclip and "drag n drop" the video clip into the center (five dots) on the window of MPEG Stream clip.
graphic
The video file will be visible on the window. Now click on the File menu and click "Export to Quicktime"graphic
  • From the settings's window, configure the settings like the picture below..After that press "Make Movie". It may take hours to complete the conversion.
graphic

Thats it. We're done. If you want, you can import it into iMovie..
  • Open iMovie, goto File menu, select Import and choose Movies
  • Select the video file and Import it.
graphic

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On HandBrake you say "Choose either AVI or MP4 from here." Which should I choose? Is one better than the other?

Steve
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I can't find any differences between them. Try both (i think i tried AVI)

So, First try AVI, if it losses any quality, try MP4...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to open Handbrake only to be told that it is not supported on this arcitecture.

Help!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
What Mac are you using ? (Intel or PPC)
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Download the correct version of Handbrake from here

Best Regards,