Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

How do I reformat a Maxtor hard drive for a mac Currently

How do I reformat a Maxtor hard drive for a mac? Currently it is in windows NTFS format and won't work on my mac, it has alrady been used on another pc first, but the blurb says pc/mac compatible.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
You cannot use NTFS with Mac (for both Read and Write). Macs can only read NTFS partition but can't write to it. So you have to format it as an Mac OS Partition. (If you have anything on your external hd it will be erased. So make backup before erasing it)

• Goto ~/Applications/Utilities/ and open DiskUtility
  • Now connect your hard drive into your Mac
  • Select the External Hard Disk that at the left column i.e your Maxtor External HD
  • Click on the Erase tab
  • At the “Volume Format” select “Mac OS Journaled/Extended”
  • If you confirm to format your hard disk, Click on “Erase” button.
  • If the erase process finished, your external hard disk is ready to use for your Mac.

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
Many thanks, I am at work right now, so I have written this down, and will try it later, in a few hours on my mac, so if it works, then I will click accept, hope that's ok?

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Its Okay...hope it will work. Good Luck !

Best Regards,