Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

My Computer (17 inch Mac Pro) is on (Screen is lit up, making

My Computer (17 inch Mac Pro) is on (Screen is lit up, making sounds) however the Screen appears to be off, or Asleep. I just got this computer and am not sure if I have put it to sleep, or am not hitting the right wake up keys. I have plug the computer in and restarted it twice with no success. Help!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I'll be glad to try and help you. First, let's figure out if the problem is with the monitor. What make and model of monitor do you have?

Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its a Mac Book Pro Lap Top. Where would I find the make and model of the screen?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Great, that answers my question.

Let's start off by resetting the monitor settings for the system to see if it boots.

1) Turn the computer off by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or until you hear the fans inside go off
2) Pull the battery out to make sure it's off, and unplug it from the wall
3) Put the battery back in and plug it back into the wall
4) Reset the parameter RAM by following these instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

See if anything shows up on the screen.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Shawn,

Thanks fo r the help thus far! I am painfully aware that this will make me look like I should not own such a nice computer but where is the "Control" key?

Sorry in Advance!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry the "Command" not the "Control" Key?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
No problem! The "Command" key has a cloverleaf-looking symbol on it, and is usually next to the space bar. It also may have an open apple picture on it.

Shawn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK no luck! I followed the steps and the computer wont even turn off!!! I tried twice, anything else I could try? I restarted the computer twice.

Thanks
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
If you can't get the computer to turn off then the rest of the steps won't work. You need to unplug the computer and pull the battery entirely out of the computer first. Then, put the battery back in and plug the computer back in. Then follow the instructions that I gave before to reset the PRAM.

Let me know how this works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to still be a bother but I:

Took out the battery, then re started the computer (same on sound, the keys lit up and fan is running) but when followed the steps I could not get it to shut down and re start. I held it down for three minutes. What else should I try?

Thanks
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Customer

It's no bother, this is a bit tricky. You're basically trying to force a reset.

Let's try it a slightly different way:

1) Take out the battery and unplug the computer again
2) Put the battery back in and plug the computer. Do NOT turn on the computer yet.
3) Hold down command, option, P, and R keys
4) Keep holding those keys, and turn on the computer
5) Keep holding they keys until you hear the startup noise two times
6) Release the keys and let the computer boot

Give that a try and let me know how it works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am Starting to hate my new computer, I just got it today and I have already broke it! Did not work, held keys dawn till hands started to cramp! Any other suggestions?

Sorry :(
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Customer

That's unfortunate... it sounds like there is a deeper problem if it won't show anything on the screen at all. I recommend making an appointment at a nearby Apple Store (you can find one at http://store.apple.com) for a Genius at their Genius Bar to take a look at the computer and see what they can do with it. If the computer is new they should be able to fix it or replace it on-site immediately, or if it's older and out of warranty they can tell you about your options for repair.

Sorry we couldn't get it working tonight. If you have any more questions, let me know. Kind regards,

Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience: 15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for all your help! Was a pleasure, hope that I will not need your services in the future, but if I do I hope that I get your help! Thanks so much and have a great night!

Thanks again
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
You're very welcome! I hope that the Apple Store is able to get you up and running quickly, so that you can enjoy your computer again. Have a wonderful night!

Shawn