Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

I currently have iPhoto 2 that originally came with my eMac.

I currently have iPhoto 2 that originally came with my eMac. I have recently upgraded the operating system to the 10.4.11. I have tons of photos in iPhoto 2. Ultimately, this has slowed down the response time when working in iPhoto.

I am trying to figure out how the comments that I write for each photo stays with the photo after I back it up to my external hard drive, iBook? Or, how can I keep the comments to the photo when I email the photos?

After doing some research, it looks like I need to upgrade to a current iPhoto to be able to do this. Is this correct? Will a current iPhoto version keep the comments with that photo when saved or sent elsewhere? What is the best way to upgrade and how do I go about doing this?

Is there anyway to backup the photos on disc with the comments included? Or, can the comments be printed out to a thumbnail size of each photo for record keeping?
Hello Kathy,

There are a few different ways you can get at what you're trying to do. I have the same problem that you do.

1) You can actually create multiple photo libraries and copy photos (and their associated metadata - comments) between the libraries. This way, iPhoto will only have to load in a subset of your photos at any one time. iPhotoLibraryManager can help you manage multiple libraries:

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

2) Upgrading your iPhoto probably won't solve your speed problem because your computer's speed stays the same. However, when you email photos it gives you the option of including the titles and comments for photos. This will also save the comment information in your backups, so you should be all set.

3) With this program, you can export the metadata (which stores the comments) to a file and include it with your backup.
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~erick205/Projects/Metadata%20Export/index.html

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for the information and the kind and quick response! I just want to verify that I understand what you are telling me.
1) Creating multiple photo libraries - currently in iPhoto 2 I have one photo library that I used from the beginning that now has over 5,000 photos. I never really figured out how to use another library, or switch between them. When you wrote:
"create multiple photo libraries and copy photos (and their associated metadata - comments) between the libraries. This way, iPhoto will only have to load in a subset of your photos at any one time.", do you mean to say in my iPhoto 2 or do this in iPhoto Library Manager? What does it mean to load in a subset at any one time?

2) Comment information - Basically, if I get iPhoto Library Manager it will allow me to email photos with the metadata (comments) attached. Is that correct?

3) Saving photo backup with metadata - So you are saying that with iPhoto Library Manager, it allows me to save all metadata linked to each photo as I back it up to my external hard drive, iBook? For example, it will keep the information as I drag-and-drop the photo or album to the iBook folder to save it?

Finally, I looked up iPhoto Library Manager and it has a free download, and a $20 download. Would the free download version be able to accomplish what I want, as indicated above?
Sincerely,
Kathy
Hello Kathy,

You're welcome! Here's more information:

1) iPhoto Library Manager will allow you to create multiple photo libraries with iPhoto 2 and manage them. It has nothing to do with emailing photos. Basically, if you have several smaller libraries rather than (1) 5000-photo library, things will run much faster. You'll use iPhoto Library Manager to switch between libraries.

2) No. It's been a few years since I've used iPhoto 2, but I'm pretty sure there is no way to email photos with comments. You can, however, print photos with comments to PDF (see the PDF menu in the print dialog box) and then email the PDF files. I do not know of another solution to emailing photos with comments with iPhoto 2 (it is built into later versions of iPhoto).

3) This comment was referring to the link after it, which is for another program that allows exporting of iPhoto metadata as separate files. It's not ideal for what you're trying to do, but it is a solution.

The free version of iPhoto Library Manager has a 20-photo limit, so you'd need the $20 version if you wanted to use that program.

I think if emailing photos is your primary concern, then upgrading iPhoto is your best bet if the PDF solution won't work for you, although it will likely run very slowly on your computer.

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you again, Shawn! I believe I am getting the hang of it now.
1) It is better to have several libraries in iPhoto Library Manager. I will definitely do that.

2) I am actually more interested in backing up my photos with their comments. And to do this, I need to "print photos with comments to PDF (see the PDF menu in the print dialog box) and then email the PDF files". I do see the PDF menu in iPhoto 2. How do I get the PDF solution to work, please?

In addition, I may upgrade my iPhoto so I can also email with the comments, as well. I will check to see which iLife and iPhoto version can do this.

3) To backup externally with the metadata and photos together, what is "another program that allows exporting of iPhoto metadata as separate files" that you refered to?

Also, I will get the $20 version of iPhoto Library Manager - it makes more sense. But I am wondering why a newer version of iPhoto would run more slowly on my computer? Would a newer version of iPhoto and iPhoto Library Manager work better together?

Lastly, after you finished helping me out and I hit "accept", is there a way to print out our conversation so I can refer to your advice later?
Kathy,

You're welcome!

2) Select the photos you want to print and choose print, and then change your print settings as you want them (number of photos on the page, etc.) in the dialog box (e.g., you might want a "contact sheet"). There should be an option to turn on and off the titles in the box too, but if you can't find it just try printing and see if they come up. Then, go into the PDF menu and choose "Save as PDF..." and save the document where you want it. Then you can open the document to see if it gives you the results that you're looking for.

3) The link to the other program is:

As for printing out this conversation, yes - just choose Print from the file menu and you'll be all set. You can even save it as a PDF if you'd like.

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really gave me insight to iPhoto and metadata. I did try to print via PDF but was unsuccessful. I couldn't see an option to turn on and off the titles also. I tried to "Save as PDF" and the photos only appear, no comments or anything else. Maybe it is iPhoto 2. I will definitely upgrade.
The link was very helpful too!
Have a nice day.
Sincerely,
Kathy
Kathy,

You're very welcome! I think that you'll be much happier with the upgrade.

If you're happy with the help I've given you, would you mind clicking the "Accept" button?

Thanks for using JustAnswer! Have a great evening,

Shawn