Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

i have saved my iphoto library to an external drive. But I

i have saved my iphoto library to an external drive. But I cannot open the photos in full screen view. It is black. what do I need to do to fix this
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

After you moved the iPhoto library, you have to set it in iPhoto.
  1. Close iPhoto if it is opened.
  2. Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library.
  3. Click Choose Library.
  4. Locate and select the iPhoto Library that you moved in to your external hard disk

If that didn't worked, you can try to rebuild the library

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the checkboxes..
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think you understand my problem. Of course I know how to After you moved the iPhoto library, "you have to set it in iPhoto.
Close iPhoto if it is opened.
Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library.
Click Choose Library.
Locate and select the iPhoto Library that you moved in to your external hard disk"

my problem is that once I have opened the library on the external drive it does work. But when I click on "full screen" the window is black.
I understood your probem...

Did you tried rebuilding the library ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that would take hours. It is massive. Over 20,000 images. Is there nothing else that can be tried first?
No, nothing to try other than creating new library and move existing photos into it (but that would also take time). Now, try to rebuild the library and see if that helps. It would be better to create a backup of your library before rebuilding the library.

And don't close iPhoto or your Mac while rebuilding the library because that may damage your library. Good Luck !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had already created a backup on another external drive. This one was copied from that other one. I took all night to copy. How will I know that anything when will be different when I copy it again?
Its size...see the size of both libraries. I don't think you can find any other differences. If you have another copy, start rebuilding now.

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so how do I rebuild it? Last time I closed both drives. I then opened finder and dragged the other on to this one. Is that correct? What do I do now?
Don't you have the iPhoto library on both of your external drives ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
of course I do.
Great ! Connect any one external hard drive and set the library of that hard drive as default iPhoto library. Then follow these steps ;

1. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  2. Open iPhoto.
  3. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  4. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the checkboxes..
  5. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how long will it take? and how will I know it is done? If it works do I then hit "accept"?
It depends upon the number of photos. Since you haveore than 20,000 photos, i think it would take hours to complete it.

And, only click Accept after it worked...I don't want to waste your money if it not worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Ashik,
I have reformatted my drive twice and reloaded the images twice to no avail. Then I decided to reformat the drive differently and reload and it worked. Your directions were not directly involved in the solution but I think you did help me try something different.

Thanks,
Dave
Hello Dave,
Glad to hear that. Thanks for Accepting my answer, bonus and positive feedback. Greatly appreciated. Have a great day !Smile

Best Regards,