Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

how can i retrieve lost photos on my iphone due to syncing

Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

I'll be glad to try and help you. Can you describe in a little mo re detail exactly what happened?

Thanks! Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

my wife synced my iphone with my laptop. The iphone had hundreds of photos saved in folders by cities visited....the laptop synced its limited photos to my iphone thus wiping out my iphone folders....

what i wanted to do was to have the same photos in folders on both the laptop and iphone for safety sake.....this didnt work

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Bad news. Unfortunately, your Mac only stores one backup, so unless you have your photos stored somewhere else you are out of luck.

Here's Apple's official description of what exactly is backed up and where:

I'm sorry I don't have better news. For the future, you might consider turning off photo library syncing in iTunes (plug in the phone, click on the phone icon in iTunes, and go to the Photos tab) so that it doesn't happen again.

One other idea - do you have a Time Machine backup of the computer that you sync your iPhone to? If so, we could try and recover the photos from the computer backup.

I'm sorry there is not a better solution. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. Kind regards,