Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have 2 problems 1 problem. My DVD drive works intermittently.

Customer Question

I have 2 problems: 1 problem. My DVD drive works intermittently. When I run the DIsk aid I get the following:Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Illegal name
Illegal name
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking multi-linked files.
og hierarchy.",0)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume The volume osh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair
2nd problem. My computer intermittently puts itself to sleep during an operation. Any help would be appreciated!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

I think the Mac OS files are damaged and need to be repaired. Try these steps and let me know how it goes..

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just did both, but am unable to get the install disk to run
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
What happens when you try to boot from the disk ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like it's trying to read it, but then ejects it. As I write this, I just put in a music CD and it reads if fine.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Try this..
Insert the Mac OS X installation disk 1 and restart your Mac. Immediately hold down the "OPTION" key. Release the key when you see the startup manager. You can see a disk icon. Select it and press Return/Enter key. This should boot your mac into the disk.

Let me know how it goes...
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Try this also;

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :
Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did it, and that seemed to do the trick to clear the errors. The dvd is more than likely a hardware issue, so I've put on an external USB DVD and it works fine. Thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Glad it worked ! Thanks for Accepting my answer and the bonus.

If you have time , pleae leave a Positive Feedback to me

Best Regards,