Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cant get my iPhoto to stay sharp after using Adjust. It

Customer Question

I can't get my iPhoto to stay sharp after using "Adjust." It never stays sharp after, at first, looking very sharp.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

By Adjust, you mean using the Adjust button on the Photo itself?

If you just open Adjust, it will not change anything.

If you make changes, then you are changing the base data and the picture can and will change its sharpness and sometimes the focus can go off as well. If you are using a JPG that is not the highest quality the Camera can offer, then it is already compressed and has lost some data in that compression. For true editing, you need those pictures in the highest JPG format the camera offers, or, turn on RAW, if supported, and edit the RAW images. RAW does not compress.

iPhoto is not a professional editor, it is a basic editor and does some nice stuff, but you need a more sophisticated app like Aperture or Lightroom to be able to adjust the data so it is as true as possible to the original.

You can always revert the setting to its original data set and then make changes again. But radical changes, like adding Exposure or reducing Contrast will affect the sharpness. You have to play with the balance of those setting to achieve the picture you want without losing anything.

I do this as well and some of mine are not the sharpest anymore either, but I like the softer tone of Photorealistic pictures for some of my shots. For serious, gotta be perfect editing, I use Aperture from Apple on my RAW pictures so I have the most room to work with in data.

Hope this helps,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't understand what you are suggesting. I am an artist. I need sharp reproductions of my paintings. I have used iPhoto for 6 years now with excellent results. In the last few months, when I go to ADJUST, then to SHARPNESS, as I have successfully done these many yrs, the image is sharp on the screen, then when I go to DONE or PRINT, the image loses its sharpness and, of course, prints poorly. Simple, no problems, no RAW, no APERATURE, no LIGHTROOM, just go to SHARPNESS and it gets sharp. Simple. This is a new phenomenon; something has gone awry in what has been, up to now, an easy, uncomplicated procedure. There has to be a simple, uncomplicated answer.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

I have no idea then.

I'll opt-out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just answered your answer---did u get it? It just disappeared from my scene.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying that u can't help me and that NO ONE there can?
Please try.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

You can try to trash the iPhoto preferences and see if that helps.

Close iPhoto and move these files into desktop..

com.apple.iLife08.plist from ~/Library/Preferences into desktop

com.apple.iPhoto.plist from ~/Users/[your name]/Library/Preferences/ into dekstop

Restart iPhoto, now try to adjust/sharp a picture....

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If not, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Ashik,
My assistant will be here Tues am and will try to unscramble your suggestions; I don't know how to do what u are suggesting myself. It sounds complicated. Will that be ok?
Thank you for your prompt reply.Customer
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
No problem. Its ok !

I will wait for your reply...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Ashik,
Info Request
11/8/2009 at 11:02 AM (7 minutes and 50 seconds later)
HiCustomer
No problem. Its ok !

I will wait for your reply...

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I didn't understand your reply...Does it worked ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You said this was ok. see above communication.

"My assistant will be here Tues am and will try to unscramble your suggestions."

You said,

"No problem. Its ok !"
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Yes, its okay...just let me know if you are able to make it work with your assistant.

Or Do i need to provide detailed instructions to you ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Detailed instructions are always helpful since neither of us are iPhoto whizzes, if u get what I mean. I am having a lot of trouble w/ iPhoto--even more since our last correspondence. Something seems to be dreadfully wrong. Could the program be overloaded or need updating? I wish I were more computer savvy. Very frustrating.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Close iPhoto if it is already opened. Open Macintosh HD (your home disk), open Library folder, then Open Preferences folder and move this file into desktop 'com.apple.iLife08.plist'. Close it.

Then again, Open Macintosh HD, this time open Users folder, you can see a folder with your name, open it. Open Library folder then open Preferences folder and move this file into dekstop.'com.apple.iPhoto.plist'

Now goto Applications folder > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. Select your hard disk from the left column and Repair the disk and Repair permission.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
We followed your suggestions---restarted iPhoto, tried adjust/sharp a picture again and, as before, it slipped back without the sharpness that appeared on the screen. It is very frustrating.
???????Customer
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
I have one more suggestion, rebuild iphoto library. Before rebuilding, backup the library into an external hard disk or to any safe place.

You can copy the Library from Macintosh HD/Users/[your name]/Pictures/iPhoto Library

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the checkboxes..
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
  7. After it completed, try the adjust/sharp.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Ashik,
It's better---not as good as it can be, but better. I appreciate your tenacity and would like to be able to reach you in the future if I need you. How does one make sure that I can talk w/ you if and when?
Meanwhile, I don't want to hold up your getting paid so I am "accepting."Customer
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Thank you very much for Accepting my answer and the positive feedback. Greatly appreciated.Smile

If you need me, you can add "For-Ashik" in the begining of the question.

Have a great day !

Best Regards,