Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a macbook and have taken the bootcamp/windows drive

I have a macbook and have taken the bootcamp/windows drive off and reformatted to Mac...I am short of space on the mac drive, can I shift the partition to create more space on the main drive
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

If you are not using Windows, you can restore that partition to your main drive. (I hope so). If you restore the partition, all the contents on Windows side will be erased.

• In Mac OS X, quit all open applications and log out any other users on your computer.
  • Launch the Boot Camp Assistant by going to your Applications > Utilities
  • Click Continue on the initial Boot Camp Assistant startup window.
  • Select Create or remove a Windows partition and then click Continue button
  • Click the Restore button to remove the Windows partition
  • This should restore the bootcamp partition to your main drive and also all the contents of Windows will be erased.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry - maybe I wasnt clear enough; I have already done that but there is still a partition; I have 35 gb on the mac user partition and 75 gb on what is called user data now. The Mac user section is full and I wanted to shift the partition so there is more space to expand applications etc and ultimately would be fine if there was no partition at all.....I am experienced (and pi....d off with windows and would rather get Mac doing the job

Many thanks
You mean you can't restore the bootcamp partition to Mac partition ??

Did you created the Windows partition with BootCamp or with Mac's Disk Utility ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No sorry - don't want bootcamp at all - just want Mac but the original drive that was setup is now full and I want to expand it. Currently have the drive with original partition and second mac formatted partition. In windows I would have used partition magic to shift the partition and create more space in the main drive...thought Mac may have easier way
Many thks
I think the issue with the restore option in Bootcamp i.e restore windows partition to mac partition, because you changed the partition with partition magic. Thats why boot camp can't restore the partition. Now, i think, the only way to expand you drive is, delete all partition and recreate all with Disk Utility. Doing this will delete all your files, applications and everything on your Mac. So you have to backup your data before doing this...

Do you have any external drive ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry Ashik..I didnt use partition magic we just killed the windows drive and reformatted to Mac format. Now I have 2 Mac partitions: one of 35GB and one of 75GB all I want to do is increase th size of the 35 GB to say 75/80GB and reduce the 'userdata' drive to 35/30GB as all the applications etc are currently running in the 35GB drive. I do not want bootcamp on the computer any more; it was never used

I hope this explains the situation clearer - thanks for your efforts so far

I understood your problem. I don't think you can easily do partition thing..

"we just killed the windows drive and reformatted to Mac format" How ? With Disk Utility ?

Do you have any external drive ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes with disk utility - if it is too hard I will just reinstall the OS and start again after backing up user files etc

Yes I do have external drive as well

Many thanks
If i'm right, thats the reason that BootCamp Assistant can't restore the partition. You should've restore the partition using BootCamp Assistant not with Disk Utility. I can't find any otherway than doing a fresh install of OS after deleting all partition to solve the issue. So first backup all your important files before deleting the partition.

Backup your whole user account from ~/Users/ folder

Then boot from the Disk, open Disk Utility from the Utility menu and remove the two partition and recreate a single one.

Please let me know if you need any help !

(no need to accept)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I am a pc user (the Mac is my daughters) can I just back up to any hard drive - I have a Western Digital 320GB or do I need a mac specific HD?
Many thanks for your help - appreciate everything very much
All hard drives are compatible with Mac, but you must format it as Mac partition to use with your Mac.

So, does a white/yellow icon appears on your desktop when you connect your external hd ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ashik
My daughter has the Mac with her..I will need to fix it all in the weekend
Many thanks for your assistance so far
We can try to fix it...I will try my best to help you.

Did you see my last question ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, she is at boarding school and wont be home until Friday night Australian time..I will have to wait for her to return before I can do anything further
Many thanks
Okay.... please let me know when you got it.
Remember, i will continue to help you, just reply back to this thread.

Best Regards,