Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

A question mark blinks on the screen. I cant find system folder.I

A question mark blinks on the screen. I can't find system folder.I can't open my hard disc.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
First, there are a few questions I'd like you to answer so I can better help understand the problem.

1) What type of Mac (ie iMac, PowerBook, etc) and how old is it?

2) What is the Operating System (ie 9.2, 10.5.8, etc)?.

3) Have you recently installed anything new, updated the computer, upgraded OS or software?

4) Did you start noticing the problem after a specific event took place?

5) Do you have your Mac OS X Install Disks? You will need these in order to continue and troubleshoot the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure what year it is, probably 90's. The model is: Power Maccintosh 52060\100.Don't know what Operatig system. I never installed anything new. I acidentli somehow shutdown computer accidently.I don't haveOSx Istall Disk.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Do you know the serial number for the machine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model #M3457 100-240V-50-60 Hz 4A
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
I was able to find the info on your machine. It's actually a 5260, not a 52060. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP304

The machine is from 1996 and should be running on Mac OS 7. This brings back serious memories. I'd love to help you get this machine running, but unfortunately, without the Mac OS Install Disks, I really don't think I can help.

The next step would be to start up from a different install disk, and attempt to repair the hard drive or reinstall the OS. Next step would be to replace the hard drive, but you would have to have your install disks to be able to reinstall the OS on a new hard drive. Sorry, might be time for a new mac.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have very important documents etc. on the hard disc.Mostly in Belarusian language.Plus I have there istalled different types of Belarusian Funts. I will buy a new Mac, but can I transfer everything from this old hard disk to my new coputar.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
In order to get to the information on the Hard Drive you will need to be able to mount it. I am not sure of the damage to the hard drive without being able to see if you can mount it or not. In order to be able to mount it however, you will need a way to try to boot up the machine. Without a boot drive (Install Disk), you won't be able to do it yourself. Because of the age of the drive, I would suggest taking the old computer to an authorized apple service center and seeing if they can access the hard drive to be able to gather your data for you. The Hard Drive may not be damaged.

If you buy a new mac, you will not be able to connect it to the old machine because of the age of the power mac, it does not have Firewire or USB ports. You may be able to pull the hard drive, install it in an external hard drive and connect it to your new mac to access the data on it, but I think a service center is your best hope at this point. Sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could You give me address & E=Mail of the Mac Service Center where I could send my hard drive to do what has to be done to transfer the information to my new computer, and maybe I could buy there a computer.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Depending on where you are located:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1434

Good Luck!
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience: 19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati