Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

I have an imac with a 10.4 operating system. I am attempting

Customer Question

I have an imac with a 10.4 operating system. I am attempting to add a new printer but when I select print is tells me that no printer is selected. It does not allow me to select another printer. It also shows last printer used.
Is the Epson Stylus Photo R340 not compatible with my machine?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Have you added the printer in System Preferences yet?

You need to go to System Preferences / Print & Fax

Unlock if necessary (lock in the bottom left corner).

Click the "+" symbol in left column and locate the printer on the network and add it to the list. You can then make this new printer the default if necessary.

If this doesn't work or does not answer the question, please let me know and we'll continue to troubleshoot your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Travis,

I did all you asked already but my mac does not show any list of printers. When I click on the + nothing happens. On the right side it shows No printer is selected. On the left side when I click on either In Menu or Printer nothing happens.

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
When you go to System Preferences / Print & Fax, then press the + key, does anything happen at all? It should open the Printer setup Utility. Is the lock in the corner of the Print & Fax window unlocked?

If it is not opening up the Printer Setup Utility, there may be a different problem at hand. Are you logged in on an Admin user account?

If you go to the Applications / Utilities folder, can you click on the "Printer Setup Utility" Program and add the printer there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Travis, when I go to the Utilities Folder and Printer Set-Up Utility and click on the + for a printer, nothing happens. It does not show a printer list or allow me to type in a name.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Before we go any further, I would suggest you use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) to create a restorable backup of your Hard Drive to an External Hard Drive. This free program will make a mirrored copy of your hard drive in it's current state that you can go back to if things go south after the following changes. I do this personally before I perform any kind of install, update or major change to my system.

This is where you are running into problems then, with the "add printer" button and the pull down Printers / add printer...? If so, then have you created a temporary admin account (System Preferences / accounts) to see if the issue is occuring system wide or is user specific? This will help narrow down the troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Travis, I am the only user on this mac. It is my personal mac and I am the user. I have not created any temp admin users on this mac.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Are you having problems when you open up the Printer Setup Utility? The buttons do not work for adding the printer? If so, then I think it's time to run some maintenance on the machine. Going to be a long list, I suggest you print it out first.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utilities.
3) Run the Verify Permissions, then Repair any errors it finds.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart the computer and see if you can add a printer now?

If not, please let me know.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
I am about to head home from the office for the evening (lovelyXXXXXahead of me). I will be back online this evening though so please post any questions or comments here and I'll get back as soon as I can (about 3 hours from now). Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Travis,

When I open up the iDisk Utilities it is asking for a .Mac member name. I don't know what to put in there.

I can't get beyond this screen in order to Run Verify Permission.

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Shouldn't be "iDisk Utilities" rather it should be "Disk Utility". Sorry for the confusion. Quit the iDisk Utlities program. This has to do with a virtual disk which you may or may not have. Doesn't sound like you have it though if you don't have a .Mac member name.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Travis,

When I click on Disk Utiluty it shows select a disk, volume or image.

The left side of the screen shows 38.2 GB Maxtor 4D040H2 and Mac HD.

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Select the Mac HD. I am assuming that is the name of your Hard Drive and that it is under the Maxtor in the list. That is the named volume of the manufacturer's hard drive.

Select the "Mac HD", then click "Repair Permissions". This may take a while.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is not a listing for Repair Permissions in my list in the Hard Drive.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
When you go to Disk Utility it should look like the graphic below. I have my Leopard Partition of my Hard Drive highlighted as well as the Check and Repair on Permissions. Does it look differently than this?

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I mentioned in my previous email, it does not display a graphic like you showed. All that it shows is Select a disk, volume, or image and the two items I indicated before on the left side of the screen.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
First you have to click on your "Mac HD" to highlight it in the left side. Then the center will change to allow you to Repair the Permissions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I do that I get a message that shows the applications Disk Utility quit unexpectedly. Each time I try I get this same message.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
I would make sure before you go any further you have a backup of the hard drive and all of your files. I mentioned Carbon Copy Cloner earlier.

Ok, sounds like we are at an impass now. If you are having problems with Disk Utility then it sounds like there are systems with your Mac OS X system. At this point, I suggest you startup from the Mac OS X Install Disk. Run the Installer and make sure you choose "Archive and Install". You may have to click on a "Customize" button to choose the type of install. You are going to reinstall the Mac OS X onto your computer. This will overwrite your native programs and correct the System structure. It will not delete your username or your files, as long as you choose "Archive and Install".
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have an OS X install disk for the computer. I purchased this computer with both a 9 operating system and the OS X installed. The computer start up is with the OS X.
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
At this point, then I am out of ideas. I am unaware of a way to repair the System without the system disks.

I am going to opt out of the question in hopes that another expert may have further ideas.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for all your help trying to get this mac to read the printer. What do I do now? Will aother tech pick up where we left off?
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
This question will go back into the question queue. If another Expert has an idea that does not involve the Install Disks, then they will attempt to answer the question.

Sorry, I am unaware of a solution that doesn't include the Install Disks. Hopefully someone else does.