Dyrck, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  20 years Mac experience in a professional support role. Particular expertise in pre-press.

Help- I have LOST a document. I accessed it last on Oct.

Customer Question

Help- I have "LOST" a document. I accessed it last on Oct. 17, 2009. Is there any way to locate? I have tried searching MAC HD- nothing!! Can we recover a lost doc?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dyrck replied 6 years ago.
First some questions. Do you back your Mac up? If so, how regularly? What version of OS X are you using? How have you searched for it so far, by content or file name?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know how to "backup" on timemachine. Version 10.5.8 I have used the MAC HD icon and searched for by language in the file.

It is a work doc. If you go to File Finder, I can locate the folder- but everything is gone from that folder.
Expert:  Dyrck replied 6 years ago.
It is very unusual (nearly impossible) for files to disappear. If they are not in the folder where you know they used to be then you have probably deleted them or inadvertently moved them or perhaps renamed them with a full point (.) at the beginning of the file name. If you deleted them and then emptied the trash, they are probably gone for good. If you haven't emptied the trash, have a look in there. Try searching in Spotlight by file name, which should find the files if they have been moved. Could you have renamed them with a full point at the start of the file name? If so, you've made them invisible, which can be fixed.