Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Can anyone tell me how to export iCal events from iCal in a

Customer Question

Can anyone tell me how to export iCal events from iCal in a format that can be manipulated (i.e. plain text, comma delimited, Numbers, etc.)? I just need start date, end date, and subject.

Up till now, I've been using Bento. But, I upgraded to Snow Leopard and now my iCal events are on Exchange and now Bento can't read them.

I've tried the Get Specified iCal items feature in Automator, but when I run it, it just runs forever.

I've tried Export option in iCal, but when I run that, I get the spinning multi colored wheel forever.

I've tried backing up iCal but then I get a file that can't be opened by any other application.

I'm totally out of ideas and would really appreciate any help on how to do this and/or why Automator and iCal crash when doing the tasks described above.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

There is a small free application that might do what you are wanting to acchieve called Address book to CSV and you can get it from here http://www.antoniolore.net/ab2csv.php

This should allow you to take what you have in iCal and transfer it to a CSV that youc an then import to a multitude of applications from Enourage to bento or Excel

Let us know if you need more info

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is not working for me.

First, it seems to be focused on Address Book entries. As stated in my question, I need to export iCal Events. I don't need to export Address Book entries.

Second, it says to "select a group" but it won't allow me to choose a group, no options are given.

Third, when I do it, I get a CSV that has no data in it.

Mitch
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

What program are you wishing to move the iCal files to?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to pull all iCal events for a given month and work with them in Numbers (the iWorks equivalent to Excel). Each field of the event should translate into a column in Numbers (i.e. start date/end date/subject).

I used to just pull the events into Bento then copy/paste into Numbers but now Bento won't read events that are in Exchange.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case manually doing what you want to do will be very difficult without having Entourage or something in between, However you amy wish to consider an app like TimeLog http://www.mediaatelier.com/TimeLog4/ for about $40.00 it sould do exactly what you are wanting as well as giving you trackable time logging.

Take a look and let me know what you think

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is a crazy program and I can't figure it out.

The query feature does not work, it does not pull up the right dates. There is no subject field. The export feature excludes start and end time, which are the most important fields after subject.

I have just written this to them:

I have just installed timelog and I am trying to figure out how to use it.

I want to import iCal Events from my Calendar then sort them and ideally export them to Numbers.

I can't understand the data it's showing me. The data contains fields such as Client and Project but those fields do not exist in an iCal Event.

I do need to see the Subject line, since that's how I code iCal Events against projects. But, the field "Subject" for an Event does not appear anywhere.

So, can you tell me, how can I see the Subject line for an iCal event? And, how does TimeLog come up with the value to put into the Project field for a given iCal event?

Mitch
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok Mitch,

The developer is located in Switserland and it is currently 1am there so I would assume you will hear back first thing in the morning from them, If they cannot or do not answer you let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As noted in my response, this solution doesn't work. I've documented the problems that I have had in using that software to perform the tasks that I've requested. I've emailed them for help but got no response.

Mitch
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

The only method to do what you want that I know of is to use the Time Log application, Howeer I will opt out and see if another expert may have another idea.

Thanks