Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a Mac and am on dial up. I find it difficult to complete

I have a Mac and am on dial up. I find it difficult to complete tasks as the computer freezes up halfway through an order or advanced inquiry. Could it be the computer is in need of help or the fact that I am on dialup. Would Hughes-Net be a good option as hi-speed internet is still not available here. Also, I am not very proficient at figuring out computers. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name is Dan.
I will see what we can do.
Can you tell me what OS X you have and what version?
What kind of Mac is it?
Do you have good cell phone reception? An alternative connection may be possible.
Can you tell me a bit more about the freeze ups?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dan,
You will quickly learn that I know just about enough to get through the day but usually taking the long way to get there.

My Mac Is a 1Mac G5, Power Mac 12.108X, 10.4.2, 1.9 GHz. I hope that helps a bit.

Quite often when I am using the Mac to buy tickets or to pay a bill, I will get only so far and everything freezes up. Sometimes
the boxes I need to check or fill in do not appear or partially appear so I cannot complete an action.

I have been told I should get Hughes Net but can't help but wonder if part of my problem is that the computer is too full of unnecessary files and information.
It gets very frustrating and hi speed internet is not coming any time soon to my area.

Sorry if I am not being very clear but I will appreciate any help you can pass on. Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
That info is quite helpful.
First things first, since images are problematic for you I will try with text to explain what to do.
In the far upper corner of your screen is a blue dot with a magnifying glass inside.
Click on that and type in Disk Utility, a list will appear and the top hit will be Disk Utility, select that and a window will open on your screen that will have Mac HD in the left side box.
Just above that and hard against the side of that box is the root of your hard drive.
Click once on either to highlight, now there will be a bar with First Aid, Erase, Partition, RAID and Restore.
Choose First Aid, below the white box under those selections will be Repair Permissions, click that and give it time to do its job.
This is the first step, do that and let me know.