Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have an iomega external drive that is giving me error code

I have an iomega external drive that is giving me error code -43 and has changed some folder to a page icon and dates them as Dec. 31 1903. how can I retrieve the files in these folders?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Go to your Finder by clicking the Blue face guy in your Dock.

In the menu bar at the top of the screen, choose the Go menu and choose Utilities.

In here, open Disk Utility

Click once on the drive name, not the indented name below it.

On the right side, click on Repair Disk.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It only shows verify as a selection. I ran that and it failed.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

That is the problem then.

It needs to be backed up, or if not able to back up, a new Partition needs to be installed.

Doing that will erase the drive, but should fix this. It may not though, this could be a hardware issue with the drive itself, or it may even be a bad power supply as LaCie has had to replace dozens for just the people I have helped in the last year.

Worth checking out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
uhg! so there is no way to retrieve the folder that is like this?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, there are recovery applications. And I would most likely run a different repair utility, like Drive Genius before giving up.

Problem is you are going to have to buy it...99.00 each I believe.

But if it is important, then cost should not be the issue.

Since Disk Utility refuses to work on it, you may have to get Drive Genius and see if it can fix it. If not, then Data Rescue can help you locate the files and recover them.

I would not do a recovery first though. The corruption of the directory may not allow for much to be recovered. That is why repair needs to come first.

Both utils above come in demo versions. Try Drive Genius first and see if it can tell you it will fix it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have Drive Genius but its doesn't allow that drive to be repaired or verified. Just the strangest thing when I was using the drive Friday and started up this morning with only some files like this.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
What does Drive Genius say about repairing the drive?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It just shows the drive with a red stop sign and explanation point so I can not select it as an option.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

It is reporting a hardware error. It cannot communicate with the drive.

Can you drag anything off the drive at all?

When you try to drag a file that was a folder, what happens when it tries to copy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It just spins and does not do it.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

I can't recommend anything else. It will need to be re-partitioned and that will erase the files.

If this drive is under warranty, I would consider having it replaced by LaCie because you cannot depend on it.

If you want to try to recover those files, I would suggest Data Rescue.

Sorry about this, but not much more I can do from here. Wish I could do hands on and run my utilities on it.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting