Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I purchased mediagear to download my text messages from sim

Customer Question

I purchased mediagear to download my text messages from sim card for my iphone. I inserted the Sim Application CD and it sounds like its about to install but it doesn't. I see it in the Finder however ALL of the exe files say they are corrupt. It asks me what application do I want to open in and NONE of my choices work. HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

EXE files are Windows files. You cannot use them.

Nothing you do will make them work on a Mac. Unless you have Parallels/VMWare Fusion or Boot Camp running Windows.

I went to a mediagear website, but do not see any Sim Card readers. What is the specific product so I can help locate Mac software, or to find if it even works with Mac or needs drivers at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is called Allcards II for Media Gear.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

There is no software for Mac.

All you do is plug it in and it should be recognized.

However, the website states support for up to Mac OS X 10.2 and no higher.

If this device does not allow you to use it without drivers, ie; plug it in and then test it, then it is not compatible with the OS on your Mac.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, so are you are you saying that I don't need to download the CD to get the software? All, I need to do is plug the device to my laptop and insert the sim card and it should start working?

Because the directions say I should install that CD and the CD does not respond.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Yes. That is only for a PC. Do you see any instructions that specifically say Mac?

Also, there is no Mac software on their Site.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Mike,

Nopers, I don't see any instructions specifically for a MAC. So, basically, what you are saying is that I need to take this back to the store and get my monies back because it's not compatible with my laptop?

Question: Do you know of any sim card readers that are compatible with MAC?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

No I don't.

Did you try it? They claim compatibility and I know my Mac will read from a lot of media readers without any software.

If it fails to read anything, then yes, take it back.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, it was for my husband's iPhone to back up his text messages. He is at work with his phone. So, I won't be able to give it a try until he gets off.

So, I will touch base with you and let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for ALL of your help. You are the BEST!

Thanks,
Kimberly
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Any chance you have a digital camera or video camera with a media card in it?

You can test the device with one of those. It reads a lot of cards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Mike,

I just got this. I put my digital camera sim card in the device and it worked perfectly. So, all I have to do is do the same for the cell phone sim card right?

Thanks,
Kimberly
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes!

That's great.

It should work just fine then.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YOU ARE THE BEST! Thanks so much for ALL of your help Mike. Have a great day!
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No problem. You too.

No reply needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Mike,

I put the sim card into the reader. The green light came on but it never appeared on my mac. Now, I see a name in my finder under "SHARED" called 618tea-80wbmg1. When I click on it, it says connect as, and it is asking for a password XXXXX gives you an option to log on as guest.

What does that mean? And, is that name in the "SHARED" folder in the Finder from when I had the MediaGear allcardsii connected to my computer?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

No, Shared are computers near you that are Sharing their hard drives out to the network.

If you are on a cbale modem, sometimes, rarely (I see it every now and then) you will see other computers in your immediate neighborhood that are connected to thes ame cable backbone and are sharing.

It does not and should not have anything to do with the Media reader. However, what shows up if you connect as Guest?

When you look on the Desktop, nothing is there looking like a White Disk icon?

Go to the GO menu and choose Computer. Is there another disk icon there? It may have a strange name like untitled or blank or no_name.

Otherwise, I have no solution. The media reader is functioning as it reads other media cards. It may not recognize the iPhone sim card.

Try again, and let it sit if no icons are visible. It may be taking its time to read it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, let me try that really quickly and I will hit you back.

I have another quick question while I try that...

When I take the sim card out, will I still be able to make calls, send text messages, check my e-mail on my phone?

Also, when I put it in the card reader earlier this morning, I hit copy on the card reader thinking it would save it to some file or something on my computer. The green light came on but I just never saw anything come up on the desktop to indicate that it was reading the card.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I clicked off the box before I could finished. I wanted to know, if you thought the files could possibly be on the laptop since the green light came on when I put the sim card in the reader?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

If the card was on the Desktop and you were able to choose Copy, then go to the Desktop again and Paste.

See if it pastes anything for you.

If not, then the reader did not show anything to copy.

The green light may indicate reading, not familiar with that model. Did you wait a while to see if it flashed or went out?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't wait a while, so maybe that is what I should have done. Because I was looking for it to make some sort of noise or for something to pop up on the desktop.

The reader has a "copy" button in it that I pushed.

I am going to try it again, and I will tell you what happens.

The green light coming on is a good sign right? That means it's at least reading it right? I just need to wait a little while because it could be reading slowly?

I will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Could be.

I don't know that device, but most with lights mean it sees the card and is trying to read it.

If the light goes out, then it may be done and will mount on the Desktop.

The copy button on the reader may not do anything for a Sim card. That may be for photos and files.

I thought you meant Copy from the Edit menu.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Mike,

Okay, I need your help. I suspect my husband is cheating on me. I thought the SIM card reader would work. SO, I moved on and purchased Mobile Spy. Now, I am STUCK! I had no idea the installation process would be so complicated.

I need your help on how to install the Mobile Spy software to his phone. I am reading the instructions and am quite confused.

Can you assist?
It saying I need to jail break the cell
Then install the software
Send a text to his phone, etc.

I am nervous because I don't know how long all of this takes and they don't have a customer support number I can call.
I thought the installation would be quick. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Oh,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Jailbreaking the phone will be apparent to him. It changes the way it operates and he may notice it.

There is another way.

It is called Phone View. It allows you to mount the phone onto the desktop and then browse through the phone and its files.

It should allow you to copy the text messages, picture messages (MMS/SMS), pictures, etc... anything he has on there, you will be able to copy off and look at at your leisure.

I would do that instead. If I had known this earlier, I would have suggested it right off.
Sorry about that.

I don't think Jailbreaking is a good idea.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

You are the best! I REALLY appreciate you. I know, it sucks that I am having to do this, but it has to be done.

I am sorry, I didn't tell you right off, that could have probably saved both of us some time. I guess, I was embarassed about it.

I am going to send you some more money to your account before the week is out. I have to do it in another account so that he can't see the monies coming out. He asked me what the last payment was for, so bare with me okay.

So, I went on PhoneView's website and that seems much easier. How long do you think it will take for me to download that information from his phone on my computer? I want it to be as quick as possible. :)

Also, do I have to plug the phone to my laptop everyday to see the text from everyday?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

It takes a minute or two. When I played with the demo, all my files were instantly available. All I had to do was tell it what I wanted to copy and where to put it on my Mac.

Take your time, just be carefel and don't delete anything. Just copy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey,

I did it and it's PERFECT! I was able to download the text etc. The only thing is that when I look at his phone bill, I see that he deleted some text messages from some numbers.

So, do you know if there is any way for it to recover text messages from the past? I think I am going to have to take that sim card reader back. I thought that I could recover old text from that sim card reader. :( So, is there not a sim card reader that could read an iphone and collect old text messages?

Thanks,
Kimberly
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Until Apple puts that into the iPhone OS, they are deleted immediately. So, no, cannot go backwards.

But you will be able to check each day and see what is on there. If deleted immediately after he reads them, then you might not ever know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Man, wow, okay. That is bad news. I hope Apple does that soon. :)

Thanks so much for ALL of your help. I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No problem.

A lot of users want to retrieve sms/mms and can't right now because there is no Trash that they go on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That sucks because he deletes SOME of his messages before he gets home from work. So, I think that those are the ones I am needing to see you know?

So, basically there is NO sim card reader that could retrieve those deleted text from months ago.

I pulled his cell phone bill and saw that he was texting this one girl a lot. BUT, he deletes those text so I can't verify you know?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yeah. With Phoneview, if you dig around in all those folders and files you may come across some garbage looking text files.

Those may be the SMS files that were deleted. I can't find anything for sure, but some people have said they found deleted sms files, but no one has said where so far.

I know I erased a bunch of mine testing this and I found none of them in any of the files, but I did not extensively look through every single file.

There is one possibility. Call ATT (or provider in your country) and ask if they can retrieve sms and how far back. Some save them for 24 hours. Not sure though.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, that is a good idea. I will have to connect his phone again tonight because he has already went off to work. I will take an extensive look at the files I already copied and see what I can find.

I called AT&T and they said that they can't retrieve sms messages once they have been deleted. I get the sneaky suspicion that they would be able to if they were served court papers. But, I understand.

Yeah, I would think people would be able to retrieve them some how. I will let you know what I find later.

Have a great morning Mike.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

I think you are right about the subpeona. They would most likely have it no problem.

Well, let me know what you come up with and I'll keep hunting around for other solutions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, so he is a school teacher and I just checked his CASE file website, which shows the days he asked for a substitute. He put in for a substitute three days at the end of October. Those are the SAME dates he was sending and receiving the text he deleted from his phone. So, those three days, he acted like he was going to work but he really did not go. WOW! I am shocked!!!

I wish there was a way I could send him an anonymous e-mail and act like a guy or something and tell him that I am going to tell his wife. OMG! This is such a crazy place to be in...
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Any luck finding the deleted texts? I still cannot find any in my files.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey! I didn't find any. :( But, I didn't get an opportunity to connect his phone last night because he was holding on pretty tightly. So, I will try again. I can't imagine that you can't retrieve them you know?

What do you think about this? http://www.proofpronto.com/cell-phone-spy.html#back

Kimberly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Question for you. If you sync your iPhone can you view deleted text somehow through iTunes?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
That dongle/software package looks pretty good. Will not work on Mac though.

Unless you have Boot Camp running or Parallels/VMWare fusion installed and running Windows (requires an Intel Mac).

It is a combination hardware (dongle) and software, recovery software, and they work together.

It is the only thing I came across that says it will retrieve the deleted sms. Very encouraging.

As far as iTunes and Texts, no. They only get backed up in data form by iTunes and then recovery to a older backup woud be the only way. Either way, deleted is still deleted. They will not be there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I have a windows PC, will that dongle/software work on that? Dang, I just wish it was not $100.00.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it will.

Just make sure of the specs of the dongle package and that your PC meets them. OS version, memory, etc...

Also if he uses the PC, make sure to install the application somewhere other than the normal location. Install it in another folder altogether. Then make sure to delete any traces of History in Windows that refer to it having been run. Like recent Apps, etc...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MIke, I just read this from the site. I am so discouraged, I guess I will never find out.

Will the SIM Card Spy with with smartphones like iPhone and Blackberry?
Yes and no. The SIM Card Spy will typically recover the address book (contact) and call information from smartphones, but usually not text messages. This is because most of these phones store the text messages on internal memory rather than on the SIM card.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

That's too bad. Like I said, it will be up to Apple to provide a Trash area for these to go into and you have at least some chance of recovery.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, another question for you. I have his MAC laptop and I am under the library, application support/mobilesync/backup. I am going through ALL of these files. When I click on a file and it asks what I
want to convert file from (text only, rich text, etc) what should I choose?

It seems like every file I click on it is gibberish.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If you see gibberish it is because it is in a code that the app understands, and not in plain English.

The best choice to recover from is text only. That way it just shows you what the file is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GM Mike,

How are you? I have a quick question for you. I am trying to get recordiapro for my husband's phone. Do you know anything about that software? www.recordiapro.com.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
HI,

I don't, but just went there and i am impressed if that is how it works.

I am not sure about one thing though... it says you diAl a number first then dial your original number and then the outgoing calls are recorded.

They even go on to say to setup a speed dial for that use.

That means you would not be able to record his outgoing calls, just the incoming calls. That part needs to be clarified. You want to be able to both automatically.

But it looks great. They have a demo I think and I might try it myself on my own phone for you know whats and giggles.

Let me know if you try it and what you think of it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going to call them at 900am. I am on the website now and can't find the demo. Where did you see it? Yeah, let me know how it works for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just want to be sure of two things:
1. He can't tell I am recording the call.
2. He can't see an application downloaded on his phone.

And of COURSE I want to be able to record his incoming calls too you know?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You would have to email them and ask that.

I don't know anything else about it. I think it is offsite, so I doubt he would realize it, but outgoing I am not sure about.