Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

my computer has been sending out mass emails with links to

Customer Question

my computer has been sending out mass emails with links to addresses on my contact list. when people open the link it immediately starts scanning their computers. I'm not sure what is causing the problem or how to stop it. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank

Mary A Emerson
Category: Mac
Expert:  QCIHDTM replied 6 years ago.

You got a virus/trojan/malware doing that.

buy and install an antivirus or run the antivirus for free from one of these two locations:

http :// (this is trend micro's)

http:/ / (microsoft's)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have a virus. I have already spoken with apple and they suggested I contact aol as that is where the emails originated. I am not at all satisfied with your answer.
Expert:  QCIHDTM replied 6 years ago. you have an apple....then you are in the wrong category...I'll transfer you and opt out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My Mac has been sending mass emails to various addresses from my contact list. My friends who have been able to open the link have said it immediately starts scanning their computers.
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
Please DO NOT Accept the answer if you do not agree with my conclusion below. Instead, let me know and I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further. If you do believe my suggestions below helped, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback).

If you only access this account on your mac (not on a PC as well), I agree with apple, this sounds much more like your AOL account has been compromised and someone is using your identity to send junk to others. I doubt it is a virus on your computer, rather an issue with your aol account. I would immediately change your aol account's password, that may correct the problem. Also, I would not access your aol account via webmail, rather use or Thunderbird.

Beyond that, I would suggest that you migrate away from AOL. Now that AOL is a free email hosting service, and obviously has issues with the integrity of it's security (any google search will confirm), it may be time to look into a Gmail account. I do, however, understand the importance of keeping an address that you may have had for years (I still have an aol account which I have used for my work since the mid ninety's) in which I would suggest you keep the aol account, delete the aol program from your mac if you still have it, add the aol account to your (if it isn't there already) and try to migrate to another service.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.