Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

iphoto 8.1 causes computer to freeze when attempting to crop

Customer Question

iphoto 8.1 causes computer to freeze when attempting to crop a picture. Unable to force quit with keyboard or mouse. MacMini 1.8, 2GB Ram, OS 10.6.1. Have reloaded iphoto and ilife support update 9.03
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Is this only happening with one picture? Or does it happen to any picture, no matter what Event/Library, etc...?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It happens with any picture. The problem seems to be only in the cropping tool. The program background will become distorted. I have tried reinstalling iPhoto and the iLife09 update. No joy.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

We may have to delete the plist file. It may be corrupted.

Quit iPhoto.

Go to your Home folder by choosing Home from any Finder window or from the Go menu in the Finder.

In Home, open the Library Folder and then open the Preferences folder.

Look for and delete the file named:

Restart iPhoto and see if this helped.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fix worked for about twenty photos average size 2.0mb jpeg. All freezes are occurring when attempting crop photos. Portions of the display around the photo become pixelated with silver and red making the menu bar disappear.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

I am getting the feeling this may not be just iPhoto.

I'll opt-out as I don't know where to go from here.
Another expert may be better at iPhoto and issue with it. I am more hardware and I actually think this may be hardware related.

Just my opinion though.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This problem did not begin until I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I think it may be either in the software or the Mac Mini may not be able to handle it. My bet is the software.