Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am having a heck of a time restoring a machine with Time

Customer Question

I am having a heck of a time restoring a machine with Time Machine. I had a bad HD replaced in my Macbook Pro running 10.5.x. It is a long story involving machine hangs during restores and backups. The laptop had no problems before the new HD install (by Apple). At one point I though I had everything working - I upgraded to 10.6.1 and tried a TM backup to the same disk. It hung and now the disk (data) seems corrupt to some point. The last time I tried to use it the machine said:

The backup was not performed because an error occurred while copying files to the backup disk.

It now seems to be mounting read-only.

I am now running 10.6.1. It seems to be running fine but I don't know if I got all the data off the backup. I'd like to move the TM backup data to another disk, re-format the TM disk, and start a fresh backup. I formatted another USB drive to "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)" like the TM disk. When I try to copy a folder from the TM disk to the new disk I get a messa
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
One of the biggest problems you have is the format. Case Sensitive is rarely a good idea.
Reformat as Mac OS Extended (journaled) NOT case sensitve.
This may solve the TM issue.
If the original TM is still intact then I would check to see what the new drive is formatted as.
It may be that it has the wrong format. Like I said case sensitive is something that software developers use and not many others for the very reason you are experiencing.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the input. The TM disk was "default" formatted by the OS when I told it to use as a TM disk. I never explicitly told it to be case-sensitive. I tried setting up the second disk as you stated before. When I tried to copy the files it told me there was a mis-match between he formats. I reformatted the second disk to exactly match the TM disk but now I get a generic message "The volume is the wrong format for a backup.". Interestingly, when I check the info on both drives, they both say "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)" so they do match.

Why does it give the message "wrong format for a BACKUP" when I am simply attempting to drag-and-drop (copy) the directory from one machine to the other.

(Incidentally, just FYI, I am a developer with 30 years experience with Windows and Unix.) It seems like the TM disk is not treated like a regular volume. Thanks. XXXXX
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
It isn't treated like a regular disk. Just because TM formatted it doesn't mean it did it right (see below).
I am giving you a link to a TM trouble shooting KB that I use and it will save me a lot of typing.
And this also. I find both good with some overlap.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the help!
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
That is what I do, Thank you.