Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Have iMac with partitionned hard drive, with XP residing in

Have iMac with partitionned hard drive, with XP residing in 32GB and I need it to sync my Windows mobile smart phone. This has worked well for 2 years but now I can not open the Windows side; the partition does not seem to be mounted; it is still there but the link to it has been renamed discOs3 and is not live. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
well I have asked a question, and so far have not received any response at all from anyone. What is going on here?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you.

I think your question doesn't showed up on the 'Questions List', thats why you didn't get any answer. Okay...Can you see the partition on the 'Startup Disks' in System Preferences.

What happens when you boot into Windows side ? Any Errors ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Ashik. I can no longer see the partition on the 'Startup Disks". There is no mention that Windows is there, 2 years after I started using it. So I can not boot into the Windows side. When I go into Disk Utilities in the Mac I can see "diskOs3" written beneath "Leopard" but is in light print. Lower down is says "not mounted" and says the capacity is 34.25 GB which is the size of my Windows partition. So it seems the Windows system is still there but I can not access it. What do you think?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Windows partition is 32GB and you can see 34.25GB in Disk Utility ? hmm..weird ! I think Windows partition is corrupted and you may need to reinstall Windows. I'm not sure if you can recover the files on Windows side...

Try to reset the PRAM and NVRAM and see if that helps.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Let me know how it goes...

(only accept after it worked)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Ashik. That did nothing except play the music and grey screen over and over again. When I finally released the keys the computer opened into Leopard. Now what? If I have to, how do I delete the Windows XP and reinstall it? This would be a very annoying thing to do; seems the problem only arose after I set up Snow Leopard. What do you think? Michael
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
May be Snow Leopard damaged the Windows Partition.
  1. Open Boot Camp Assistant from ~/Applications/Utilties/ folder and select Create or Remove a Windows Partition and click Restore. This should restore the partition and delete all the files of Windows side.
  2. Close Boot Camp Assistant.
  3. Restart your Mac and Open BootCamp Assistant again.
  4. This time Create a new Windows XP Partition and follow the onscreen instructions to install Windows. (You need the Windows installation disks to reinstall Windows)

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc