Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

After performing a safe reboot my sluggish iMac has got its

Customer Question

After performing a safe reboot my sluggish iMac has got its old speed back. BUT - has anything actually been changed; ie, if I reboot again normally won't the slowdown recur?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
A safe boot runs repair routines that do just that, repair the drive and permissions.
It will not have full functionality is safe mode.
There is a possibility that the slow down may reappear but not likely.
I find the the major cause of slowdowns are drive directories that have gotten corrupted.
This makes the finder work harder than it should have to to find what should be right there.
Consider your hard drive as a big closet that starts out with lots of room and things are easy to place and find. As more and more stuff is put in room gets harder to find so things get broken into parts and placed where they will fit and some parts get hidden and hard to find.
What is needed is everything to be located and placed into a new directory so it is easy to find.
Disk Warrior by AlSoft is what I use and recommend, it is about 90.00 at the Apple store or online.
You may not need it yet but is something to think about.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks very much for the advice, and analogy. I'm back up after rebooting and the system is much quicker than before. I've ordered Disk Warrior - sounds like a very handy program to have around. I appreciate the time for your thoughts.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Happy for you, I like DW and use it in my work. My wife and I own 17 Macs 10 are in her 1st grade classroom as a lab, I use 5 and she has 2.
Thank you for the payment.
If you ever need more help just ask for me.