Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have an older Mac tower running Tiger. I also have a Mac

I have an older Mac tower running Tiger. I also have a Mac Book pro. I ordered the family Box set and upgraded my Power Book to Snow Leopard. It worked great! I went to up grade the older Mac Tower and I get a (Panic) screen to restart. At this point I would just like to get my CD out of the CD Drive. But holding down the button is not doing the trick. I can't get into any disk utilites or anyting as I just get the blank panic screen. How do I get my CD out of the drive, so it is not trying to start from that Disk. (also holding down the option and or the eject button on restart does not work either.

Thanks,
DJ

Can you press and hold down the power button to turn off the machine then wait 5 seconds andthen press and hold the mouse button down and power up your machine, Keep the mouse held till the CD hopefully ejects and let us know if that does not work

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That did not work, The CD is still stuch and I also have the blinking question mark alternating with he computer face symbol.

Ok,

What model is your older mac?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still need to get the CD out of the Mac tower, however, I have tried numerous combinations of holding down the mouse alone and also with the option and the eject button, Just the option button, just the eject button all three, and all three along with the shift. Nothing is working. I am ready to take the machine apart and just somehow get the disk out that way, but I don't know how to get the tower open. I am still looking for any ideas that may work.

I think maybe the start up drive in the computer is going bad, but I really need the new Snow Leopard CD out!
I am still getting the flashing "?" and the mac face on restart all the time, no matter how I try to start it.

Thanks in advance for any help any one can give me.

DJ
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
PS. The older Mac is at least 4 years old and was running Tiger. I think it was a G4 Tower
Dj

Ok,

If it is a Power Mac g4 then can you try shutting down the computer then carefully pull down the door covering the front of the drive tray and locate the small emergency eject hole.

Carefully insert the end of a large, straightened paper clip into the hole, and push firmly until the tray hopefully opens, Next pull out the tray then remove the disc and push the tray in gently to close it.

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Very COOL! Thanks! It worked!

Does it sound like my hard drive has gone bad?

DJ

Well it sounds like something has gotten messed up.

Do you have your original Tiger disks?

If so can you try booting from them using the C key and see if it will open to the Installer so you can run disk first aid.

Let me know if you have the disks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have the disk, and I tried it, but it is still flashing the "?" and mac symbol.
dj

Ok,

For some reason it is not seeing your hard drive, If you nowtry and boot your mac with the option key held down do you get the ? and mac

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it's still flashing after that.

DJ
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It now sounds like it is going to take off in flight

Ok,

Can you tell me if you tried to upgrade your G4 or were you just booting the DVD to start?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was just trying to boot from the DVD to start.

Ok,

Can you shut down your machien then wait 5 seconds and power it back up.

As soon as you let go of the power button can you try holding down the command+option+P+R keys till you hear the startup chime sound twice then let go and see if it will boot

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried it with the DVD Still in there and after I took it out. Either way, it still flashes the "?"

I do have a Hardware test disk that I will try while I'm waiting on your reply.

Thanks
DJ

OK,

Let me know what happens when you run the hardware test disk

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much, I did get a message that said that this hardware disk does not work on this computer. I have another set of Disks, in a different location I can check and try those tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

DJ

Thanks,

Let me know what the other disks say when you get a chance