Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

My aol address book has been invaded and e-mail has been sent

My aol address book has been invaded and e-mail has been sent in my name to various addresses. I have bene informed by several addrssees that the link in the e-mail is a bad one. Hw can I reach a real live person at AOL to address this problem? HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

You have been a victim of spammers.

No one invaded your mailbox, what they did was simply use your email address as the Reply to address.

That is why you are seeing bad addresses, bounces, complaints, etc...'

There is nothing anyone can do at AOL or anywhere else for that matter. The only thing that will stop it is to abandon the AOL address you have and start a new one.

I have had it happen to me and I have heard from dozens of others that had this happen to them.

Once your email address is spread around as a good address to spam with, it will be sold over and over to other spammers who will continue to use it to spew spam to customers.

Trust me, get rid of your current address. That way you will stop the spammers from using it and you will get a nice quiet new email address.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do intend to change my e-mail address; in fact to change my e-mail
service since it is impossible to contact AOL. But, it still seems that
my address book was invaded. Today's example (there were 3 last week)
was sent to 19 names (my own included) in my address book. It doesn't
appear that my address was used solely in the reply line. There were
different groups of addressees in last week's e-mails, but all from my
book. Any comment?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Are you on a PC?

It sounds like YOU may be infected with a virus that sends emails out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am on an older iMac. Version 10.3.9 I believe. I suppoe I had better
ask further what to do about the virus, if I have one.

On my previous reply I was asked if I wanted a text message to my phone.
When I clicked on No Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX application quit.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

On a Mac... No virus. I was thinking you are on a PC.

Then it seems maybe someone has figured out your password.

I would at least change that to a more difficult one so no one can get back in.

As far as AOL quitting on you, personally AOL is crap. They have no support to speak of and their software and services are the worst out there.

Just my opinion mind you.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting