Nick B.
Nick B., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  16 year mac user. 13 years professional mac experience. BSD UNIX expert. Senior Network Engineer

I have an iMac G5 (about 4 years old). Running on Mac OS10.5.8 My

I have an iMac G5 (about 4 years old). Running on Mac OS10.5.8
My LCD is having issues. There vertical lines and bars all across the screen. I can see the apple but the circling dial underneath it stops moving.
I have tried to reset the PRAM and the SMU. I also checked the LED lights inside the computer and 1-3 are on properly. Last night the computer was fine. This happened after start-up this morning.

Any other ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick B. replied 6 years ago.
When I've seen issues like this is has usually been indicitave of a ribbon cable issue or a failing display board/module. Do you happen to have Tech Tool (usually sent with applecare) or your original install disks? The original install disks should have a hardware test application and Tech Tool, if yo uhave it, will also perform diagnostics.

Another thing to test is to unplug everything from the iMac and reboot it. This will narrow down the possible sources of the issue but if it's the iMac g5, I believe they had a known issue with the video with these symptoms.