Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have a file (in text edit or maybe pages) that claims to

I have a file (in text edit or maybe pages) that claims to be corrupted. I need to open it desperately. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Do you have Microsoft Office?

Do you get this error no matter what you try?

Are you not sure what the creator application was?

If you Get Info on the FIle (Finder - File Menu - Get Info) what does it say for file type?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I. Don't have microsoft office. Just text edit and there is a pages program on this.
2. I get this error no matter what I try.
3. Text edit is the creator. The message tells me that it might be corrupted, truncated or in a different format that I expect. As an icon it appears to be like a blank page. The good documents that open ( this is a book!!!) are rectangular and say doc on them.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mike, it is in a word (97) format, not text edit. Hmmm. Help
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Doc? Hmmm.

Without Word I am unsure if you can do this. Word has a recover text from any document import and that usually gets the text out of these types.

You could try either OpenOffice or NeoOffice, both are free. They may be able to open that file.