Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I cant get a cd into my cd drive, nor can I burn a cd. What

I can't get a cd into my cd drive, nor can I burn a cd. What do I need to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Is there a disk in there?

What happens when you try to insert the disk?

If you can try to burn a disk, is that after you are successful in getting the disk in there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think there's a disk in there but if there were, how would I reject it? I obviously don't know apples. There is no eject button to push...

so, yes, there has been a time when I could get on in and when I have only once did it not spit it right back out and then I was able to download it onto my itunes but then when I tried to burn it said something about the attempt failing and not being able to retry it.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Let's make sure nothing is in there.

Restart your Mac and hold down your TrackPad button or Mouse button.

Keep it down until the Mac starts to boot up.

If there is a disk in there, it will eject before the Mac starts booting up.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, it didn't work. I tried it but the computer wouldn't shut down as long as I held the trackpad (curser?). If fact, it didn't shut down when I let up either. At that point the little pinwheel appeared and turned round and round for like 5 minutes and then finally I just held down the power button to shut it off. Nothing popped out.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

No, got it backwards.

Turn off the Computer.

Turn it ON then hold down the Trackpad button. Only when you turn it on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope, no cd.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
ok.

Then we need to see if the drive is even being detected by the OS.

Go to your Apple Menu and then choose About this Mac.

Click on the More Info... button

In here, look for anc click on Disk Burning in the list on the left.

What does it say on the right side for Burning support?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry, where is the apple menu?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
upper left... Apple icon

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It says Yes (Apple shipping drive)
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Then we have a good drive.

Now, what types of disks are you using?

Grab a CD, blank, and insert it. What happens? Specifically.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well, here's something interesting. I got a cd to go in to the drive and open but then it is not able to eject it. I see it trying and the white strip on the outside of the laptop even comes open a bit as it tries but it isn't able to spit it out.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Then what may have happened is the exit of the drive, part of the top or bottom case, has been bent a little and is dragging on the disk.

If you can see the disk, you can grab it and pull it out as it tries.

If not, then this Mac will need to be looked at as it will need some TLC to get that drive to eject properly.

That would also explain why it seems the disks don't work. They may never get all the way in and seat properly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no can do. What do I need to do? take it in somewhere?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yeah. You will. An Apple Store or Service Provider.

Where in the world are you located?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bloomington, IL
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Check this site and find a dealer/Apple Store near you.

They can give you an Estimate of what is wrong specifically and if it will require anything extensive. You can decline if you want no repairs and you could always get an external DVD drive and use that instead of paying for a repair.

Unless you need the portability of the dvd drive being in the laptop.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting