Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My WD Essential external hard drive accidentally got pulled

Customer Question

My WD Essential external hard drive accidentally got pulled out of my Mac and when I plugged it back in, it would only open as read-only. I backed up all of the data and used Disk Utility to partition the drive (which now no longer has any of the .exe files that originally came with the drive). Now the drive spontaneously self-ejects while I'm trying to move data back onto it. Any solution?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Plug the disk in and powered up, open Disk Utility/Erase and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) not case sensitive.
The drive is a FAT32 format which is Windows and can be used with Mac but when you partitioned it some critical structures were overwritten and you cannot restore them.
By reformatting as Mac OS Extended it resolves this issue.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That definitely seemed to work for it. Now, will I be able to use the external hard drive with a PC with the way its formatted or would that be problematic?
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
No, that format will not work with a PC.
The FAT32 will work with both PC and Mac but Mac utilities cannot fix it if something goes wrong.
If you wish it to be used with both then it must be reformatted as FAT32. Disk Utility will do this and then the PC can see and use it.
graphic