Nick B.
Nick B., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  16 year mac user. 13 years professional mac experience. BSD UNIX expert. Senior Network Engineer
24128885

Hi, is there a way that instead of using my windows laptop

Customer Question

Hi, is there a way that instead of using my windows laptop to vpn and connect to my desktop windows computer at the office on my iMac
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick B. replied 7 years ago.
I think i can help, but I'll need a bit more information to help me understand exactly what you're needing to accomplish.
To clarify, you would like to connect to your desktop at work from your imac at home?
How do you connect from your windows machine at home? If it is Remote desktop, then that should be possible on your imac by using this client.
What VPN software are you using on your windows machine?
Do you have access to the settings for the VPN client or can you get details on the VPN type and settings from your IT department?

Edited by Nick B. on 11/1/2009 at 8:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nick,

I will download this software. I use VPN SonicWall to get to our network. I then use (typically) windows remote desktop connection. It seems that I need something like Sonicwall on my mac?

Thanks for your help, Kyle
Expert:  Nick B. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you'll need either a sonicwall provided VPN client (which I'm not sure if they offer or not) or, alternatively, if you're using an SSL vpn, pptp or IPsec protocol based VPN (your IT department should be able to tell you) you may be able to use the Apple built in VPN client.
The link I provided in the first post is the same as the windows remote desktop client. It will provide almost exactly the same functionality as on your windows box.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where do I find the apple built in VPN client?
Expert:  Nick B. replied 7 years ago.
Depending on your version of OSX (I believe at least 10.4 and up have VPN support) you'll find it under System Preferences => Network
On the left hand side there is a small "+" on the bottom. From there you can add an additional network interface, including a VPN client or tunnel. It should look like this:

graphic

Edited by Nick B. on 11/1/2009 at 10:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nick, I see it. I did call our IT guy and he said it will not work with our SonicWall, but he is going to search for a application that will do it.