Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I deleted photos from a flash stick while I photo was running

Customer Question

I deleted photos from a flash stick while I photo was running and photos in I photo were deleted also . How can I recover those files when time machine wasnt used?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Did you at any time Import those photos? Or where you looking at them on the Stick?

That is important.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
these photos were already downloaded in I photo,and I was viewing them . the stick that was deleted wasnt a camera card ,it is a flash stick
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Understood. I just wanted to make sure you actually imported them Because iPhoto makes them look the same as an Event, it has happened many times already.

If theya re gone from the stick and iPhoto has no recollectioon of them (like it had a brain, lol), then I am afraid they are gone.

Do you have iPhoto creating Events by date when importing? I know you said you lookied in the events, but are these pics from multiple dates and maybe they are spread out in many events already created for thsoe days?

Did you check Last Import smart Album?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did check last import and they are gone from there also. these events were just created ( photos were recent and just downloaded from camera , and yes camera was deleted
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Oh boy.

That is the weirdest thing I've come across. I have not seen this happen except, like I said, the user forgot to actually Import and then deleted everything thinking they were safe.

There is a way to recover files from the Stick though as long as it has not been used.

Download this utility and see if it can recover them. If so, buy it. Then try the Import again. To be safe, copy them to the Desktop into a folder first, then import. This way you have a safety net.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I took so long(got called off to work for a couple of days)I tried the demo and it worked fine( I could see the thumbnails and the files were fully recoverable)
I purchased the full program and tried it out this morning and it worked as described, not to mention simple. Thank you for the help, Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No problem.

Glad to help.

Come back again,