Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Hello, following my upgrade of my iMac to Snow Leopard, my

Customer Question

Hello, following my upgrade of my iMac to Snow Leopard, my Apple Mail program which continued to successfully receive email refused point blank to send it. After numerous attempts at re-configuring outgoing smtp server settings, in frustration I moved my mail program to trash with a view to reinstalling it from my Snow Leopard system disk.

It refuses to reinstall so I now have no desktop email program whatsoever. Incidentally when trying to reinstall I used the custo install button on the system disk and selected "applications" - I can see "Mail" listed in my apps folder but not withits proper alias and it will not open. Can you help me a) to reinstall Mail, and b) to get it to send email. By the way I am running Snow Leopard vers. 10.6.1.
Many thanks. Frank
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Download this Mail.app file and then uncompress and drag it into the Applications folder.

Then start again get your email working.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike, thank you for your quick response. I have downloaded the Mail App as directed and it works perfectly as far as receiving mail is concerned. Still no joy in sending mail using my "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" email address.

The error message says the the mail program cannot contact the smtp server - this in spite of the fact that in setting up my account from scratch Mail did validate the settings both for the incoming server and the outgoing server.

My server settings are : POP incoming : "mail1.eircom.net" and outgoing smtp: also "mail1.eircom.net"

As you can proably gather Eircom is my ISP.- it's the major internet player in Ireland where I live. I also know that Eircom does NOT require authentication on outgoing mail and I have accordingly used "none" in the security dialog box. I am still at a loss to solve this refusal to send mail. I am using gmail as an alternative at present. Hope you can help
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Is mail1 a SMTP AND a POP server? Usually they are different servers?

Can you check that? The automatic thing would verify the server if the POP was responding both times, I just wonder if it is a different server for SMTP, sending server.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Yes "mail1" is both the POP server and the SMTP server. This never caused problems prior to my upgrading to Snow Leopard.
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok.

Thats fine. just unusual.

Any idea of what port they may use for outgoing? Or if they require SSL to login, even though you don't authenticate?

I'm trying to look this up myself but not having much luck, Internet is dragging for me today.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX they use port 25 for outgoing and port 110 for incoming, and I believe they do not require SSL to login - as I have never had to use SSL before.
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

I'm running out of stuff to try.

Did you Quit Mail and then restart it again, just to reset everything?

I just can't think of anything else.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Yes I did that. Also I did that about three times before I moved my original Mail program to Trash !
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Is this email you are trying to send out from before the problem surfaced, or did you just do a new one?

What server is it saying it is using as the Outgoing server? Any chance there is more than one listed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike,

No, this is a brand new email. I also made sure to delete all legacy SMTP info that was in Mail before setting up the new SMTP. There is now only ONE SMTP address in the outgoing server box.
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I am lost then. It 'should' be working.

I am going to have to opt out as I cannot think of anything else to try. It all looks and sounds exactly right.

Sorry about that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,
Please don't give up on me - I will happily pay your account for getting back my Mail App. even though it is not sending Mail.

I read on one of the many forums I looked at to try to solve this problem that this difficulty could have something to do with the way Snow Leopard sends out messages throughsome sort of central data distribution centre - although I am fairly computer literate this "central data centre" is I'm afraid over my head !
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Nah,,, that is not what is going on. They may be referring to Cloud computing like MobileMe is.

Yours is a simple POP/SMTP setup.

Works everywhere. That is what is so confusing.

Let me look some more. I'll be right back.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks !
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ha... found it!!!

Read this
. I missed it the last time I looked on the site.

Make sure to match all thsoe settings. It may be that the send mail server needs to ahve the webmail server setup.

See if that works now.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all your help. Problem still not solved. I readthe web site as instructed and followed instructions to the letter. Still no joy. However I am clicking the "Accept" button as I appreciate your efforts and thanks also for getting back my Mail App for me.

If you think of any new suggestions give me a shout.

Thanks
Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the accept and if I come across anything else I will get back to you.