Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have four accounts set up on our imac, and for some reason,

Customer Question

I have four accounts set up on our imac, and for some reason, my wife can't log into her account anymore. It acts like it's going to her account, but a blue screen pops up, and it returns to the log in screen. Can you please help?

Ed [email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Turn off the Mac.

Turn it back on and then have the SHIFT key down until it starts to boot up. The screen will change.

When you get to the login screen it should say Safe Boot or Safe Mode.

Login with her account. Does it work?

Let me know. This process takes some time and on slower Macs I have seen it take upwards of 15 minutes, so be patient with it as it runs some routines while booting up.

If it works, restart and login normally. Does it still work?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried doing this, but it stays in the boot up screen (with the apple on it), and thew wheel keeps turning. I tried several times, and it never went to Safe Mode.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Oh, how long did you wait each time?

It sounds like it may not have been just her acvcount. It sounds like the Hard Drive is having a bad hair day.

To run disk checking utility without booting from a CD/DVD do this:

Shut down your Computer.

Turn it back on and hold down the 'Command' and 'S' keys at the same time. Command is the Apple key.

Release the keys when you see a lot of text scrolling up the screen.

When the text stops and the Mac appears to be waiting for something, type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.

Let it finish. If it returns any errors, make a note of them and then run the command again.

When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Let me know what happens. Make sure you have the keys down as or before you hear the chime as the Mac turns on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I ran the disk utility, and it had several repairs. I reboot it, and ran it in the safe mode, and I still can't log into this account. It goes to the blue screen, and returns to the login page.

On a side note, I recently took this computer into the Apple store, because I was having a major problem with the computer "freezing" up. It would go to the blue screen and lock up there. When they did the analysis, they said it was either the hard drive, or the optical cable. They ordered a new cable, replaced it, and it worked fine. When I brought it home, it still acted up a little, but since then, has been working fine, with the exception of my wife not being able to log into her account. I could delete the account, and start up a new one, but would I lose all of the information she has in Entourage?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Yes. You would. If you cannot get into the Account, then it will be lost.

Before you do that though, can an Administrator account log in successfully?

If so, create a new account for her. Then go ahead and delete the old account. When you get the choice dialog as to what to do choose Save user in a DIsk Image.

Then let it delete the account.

What will happen is there will be a Disk Image created with all her stuff inside. You will then be able to open that disk image, it will mount as an disk icon on the Desktop.

Go in there and you should be able to copy out all the stuff you need, including the User Profile for Entourage. Place the items in the same locations and then you should be able to use the new user and still have most of the old stuff available.

This however will NOT work if the user is damaged and the Delete command cannot create the Disk Image to save it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, now I'm having more problems. I'm going to take it back to the Apple Store.
Thank you so much for your help.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I would be skeptical about this Mac as well. It sounds like something is really odd about it.

Should not do this at all.

Good luck and sorry I could not assist further.