Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Can an iMac G5 with Power PC processor be made to run Learn

Can an iMac G5 with Power PC processor be made to run Learn to Play in Garage Band?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

No. The minimum requiremenst for Learn to Play are an Intel processor.

The G5 does not make that. I am unaware of any Intel Upgrades fro G5 computers, so you will not be able to do this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can't change motherboard or such, I guess. Saw some posts about changing x codes or something. But I can't work codes. Wonder what kind of tradein value I could get to upgrade. Too bad the iLife system requirements aren't printed bigger. Oh well. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Well, most of iLife does work on 10.4 and u p.

Having 10.3.x is a handicap at this point. It is very old, in OS life, so there will not be much you will be able to get for it from here on out.

The g5 is not upgradeable by swapping logic boards. You will have to sell it.

Not sure about trade-ins... no many stores take them and if they do, you might get 1 or maybe 2 hundred for it.

Might be better off selling locally and getting a newer one. Just mak sure it is some type of Intel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm going to pay you, but one more thing: Are you aware of any other piano lesson software for iMac?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Let's see....

There is this one. Piano Wizard. It runs on a Mac.

Then there is eMedia Piano.

Both seem pretty well rated.