Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have a 2year old 15 inch MacBook Pro - 2.4 Ghz, 800 Mhz Bus

I have a 2year old 15 inch MacBook Pro - 2.4 Ghz, 800 Mhz Bus speed, 4 gig RAM, with 160 gig Hard drive. I would like to upgrade the Hard drive and would like to know what the the largest hard drive I can install and do I have to buy an Apple drive or will any drive be ok?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Any SATA 2.5' drive will work. You can go as high as the capacity of the current drives, around 500GB I think now (I have same MacBook Pro and have a 500GB drive in mine).

You can also get a faster,XXXXX but they create more heat and you may not want that as the fans will run higher making it a little louder. Speed increase is there, but on some tasks, negligible.

It is fairly easy to install, but there are a lot of small screws and some connectors tpo be removed that can make it intimidating.

A note - Apple Geniuses will not install upgrade drives. However an Apple Service Provider, a computer Store that sells and services Macs will for a fee.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you - any suggestions on Brands? - any known problems with any of them?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, Hitachi is what Apple sued for a while and I saw a lot of them fail.

I use Seagate myself. Western Digital is also good.

One thing I do, and this is just me because I take advatange of things, is I buy an External USB drive, like a Seagate FreeAgent Go, get the size I want, like a 500GB, and then take the case apart and remove that drive, install it and then put the old drive back in the external case.

Win Win as I now have my old drive as a backup, I have a new external drive to use for whatever I want when I don't need that backup anymore and a new drive in my Mac.

Hope this helps,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you know the external drives are the right size drive for a laptop?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Oh, good question. I forgot that.

Portable drives come in 2 heights. You want the shorter one.

500 GB and smaller drives are ALL the shorter height.

Best bet is to buy from a known Apple compatible vendor like OWC/MacSales.

Or, like I said to do if you want, buy a portable external drive. It will be the correct height if 500GB and under.

Also, one other thing. You will need to partition the drive for Mac. Almost every drive sold, except for those by MacSales, are formatted for PCs.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
someone told me you cant install a 500 gig hard drive in a Mac laptop - any truth to this?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
None. I have one in mine right now. Same MBP as yours.
graphic
Check the Capacity.^^

Only thing I would say, like I said above, don't get aXXXXX That may be what they are actually referring to. Too much heat. Get aXXXXX

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting