Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I downloaded ITunes 9 but its still the old iTunes as far

Customer Question

I downloaded ITunes 9 but it's still the old iTunes as far as I can tell. When I tried to download a movie, it prompts me to upgrade to ITunes 9 again. When I click on the upgrade button, it takes me to the Apple Web site and asks me to download it again. Have a feeling it's downloaded somewhere onto the mac but i don't know where ...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

When you download from Apple, instead of using the Software Update tool in the Apple Menu, those downloads go to the same place your Browser places all downloads.

Since I do not know where you have your downloads going, the default would be your Documents folder in your Home Folder, you will have to find that download folder and then run the installer. Just downloading it does not install it except through Software Update.

You can also check in your Downloads window, Safari has it in the Windows Menu, Firefox has it in the Tools menu, find the download in that list and then double-click the file name to open the iTunes disk and then run the installer from there.

That should do it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. When I choose Software Update on the Apple menu, it says my software is up to date. In Downloads, i have two files. One is itunes.9.0.1.dmg and the other is itunes 9-1.0.1.dmg. Clicking on either gives me an option to install. When I try to install, it says I've already got a more up to date version of itunes installed.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Then you are current. 9.0.2 was just released. Here is the link to the download for 9.0.2. You can delete/Trash the 2 you have and then get this one, install it.

So what happens when you download? You still get the error message?

Have you restarted the Mac?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i click on the download 9.0.1 to install it, it brings ups a window with two files: one of them is itunes.mpkd (I may have a letter wrong). i click on that and it asks me where I want itunes installed. I click on macintosh HD, and it says I've already got a more uptodate version installed on there already and so can't install the new one
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

I do not understand where you are getting 9.0.1.

It seems the site did not attach the link as I wanted it to.

Trash that file. If anything you have says 9.0.1 installer, trash it as well.

The go the Apples download site for iTunes and use that link only to get the file.

Then install it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks

I've done that, and downloaded again the latest version and installed.

I still can't run it. I've rebooted and when I click on the Itunes logo, it's just the old Itunes
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

Where are you clicking on this icon?

Go to the applications folder and open from in there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's where I've opened it from. Or the ICON at the bottom of my screen. They both just bring up the old Itunes. Weird huh
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

Click once on the icon in the application folder.

Choose Get Info from the file menu.

What version does it say it is?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HEY I just installed for about the fifth time and it's working. Bizarre. Thanks for your help,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Odd. But good!

Thanks for using Just Answer.