Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my mac just has a blue screen and wont open the desk top

my mac just has a blue screen and wont open the desk top?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i cant find them?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We need the disks to repair your Mac. Okay... now try these steps;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.
Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :
Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried but this time it wont even reboot up. I got to the point of shift and after reboot but it doesnt come up just apple symbol and round spinning thing.

i dont have discs.

should i try again all what you wrote?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Did you tried PRAM reset and Disk Utility ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did the pram and now its still got the blue screen apple symbol and the spinning thing so how can i go into safe mode when i cant even get the desk top up?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Try this..
Turn off your Mac by holding down the power button for 10+ seconds. Turn it on and immediately press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo and spinning gear. (Booting into SafeMode will take upto 10 minutes)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i just did that and the apple is there and its spinning the thing i will wait ten minutes and then write back after if it comes up in safe mode?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did all you said and about ten minutes later the screen just went black and off

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..did you tried Disk Utility ? If not, try it and let me know if it shows any errors...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I could not try anything cuz it wont boot up at all to the desk top it just has now a darker blue color and a spinning wheel?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You can Disk Utility in Single User Mode, i mean you don't have to boot into desktop to run Disk Utility in Single User Mode...In short, Single User Mode means Terminal/Unix.

Restart and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. When you see the Unix screen, type the following command...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did all that and it si saying in black with white letters "checking catalog hierachy

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Is there anyway to get the disks ? You can ask your friends for one ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will haved to try and get some and then what do i do when i get them cuz its still just doing the blue screen thing so what do i do when i get teh discs?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
When you get the disks, do the following;

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

If that doesn't worked, you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

(Note : You have to ask/buy the same Version of Mac OS X disks that you are using on your Mac, i mean, If you are using Leopard, buy the Leopard Disks. Also, You can't reinstall Mac OS X using your friends' OS X Disks if that is a restore disks [grey color disks] )

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more thing will i loose my files? or will they be ok?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
If your hard disk is not fried, you won't loose any files, Archive and Install only replace the system files with new one and won't affect any other files. Don't forget to save user account and network preferences when you do Archive and install. Read this carefully

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc