Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

To all Mac/adobe acrobat experts out there, How do I find

To all Mac/adobe acrobat experts out there,

How do I find line numbers please in adobe acrobat documents for adobe on a mac? I see page number up there but cannot fins line numbers. Thanks so much,

If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Unfortunately, there is no way to add line numbers in Acrobat. If possible, can you add the line numbers in another program? Or are the pdf files scans? Most programs have work arounds for adding line numbers, but there are none available for Acrobat:
Pages -
Word -

Acrobat -

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm merely trying to find what line number the cursor is at at different points in the manuscript on a particular page. (Not create them.) It is a book. I am getting back with the publisher. I am simply trying to determine what line number my cursor is at for correction purposes. Example in Word or other program, would be, page 4, line 12...visible somewhere in the tool bar depending upon where you place the cursor. I don't see it in Acrobat.

thanks very much,
Is the document a pdf? What version of Acrobat are you using? Is there a possibility of opening the file into another program?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX's a PDF. But no it won't open in Word. Yes, a PDf document. A book. Adobe Acrobat reader 9. Version 9.2.0.

Let me see what I can find out tomorrow at work and I'll post here as soon as I find something out.
Ok, I was able to track down an answer. It's not a good one, but it's an answer.

The PDF File format has no concept of "lines". Characters in a particular font family, (weight, size, etc) are placed at X/Y coordinates on the page when the PDF is created. They can be placed in order, but unlike a word processing program, the pdf document is more of a graphic layout than a processed layout of characters.

Hope this makes sense. The line numbers would have had to be added visually to the pdf before it was created.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fair enough. Thanks for your effort. We will work a way around it. Thanks man.

Thanks for the accept. Much appreciated!

If you have any other problems in the future, feel free to ask for me, I'd be honored to help.