Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I forget the password to my iBook G4 laptop how can I get

Customer Question

I forget the password XXXXX my iBook G4 laptop how can I get in?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You forgot password XXXXX what ? User Account's Password ?

Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No; It is my school laptop with my easygrade program where I store my student's grade book.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
To make sure, which password XXXXX you want to recover ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
user password XXXXX user id is evans and I cannot remember which password XXXXX used.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You can reset the the administrator password XXXXX the Mac OS X installation disks. If you don't have it, borrow one from your friends. Because resetting password XXXXX the installation disk is the best way.

• Start up from a Mac OS X Install disc. Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
  • Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Installer menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.

There are two methods to obtain the lost password XXXXX than using Disks...one is change the password XXXXX other one is create new account which may replace the old one.

Solution 1
Boot up your computer while holding Command Apple + S - this will take you into single user mode. At the prompt type: /sbin/mount -uw /
Then, type: passwd username (remember : "username" is the name of the account for which you want to set the password. eg : passwdCustomer

You will then be asked to type the password XXXXX (You will not see anything on the screen as you type the password)

Once that's done, type: reboot

Solution 2

If it didn't work then here is what you will need to do:

• Reboot your Mac
  • Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should have a brand new Administrator account. Then Log-in with that account and change the password XXXXX your old account by going to System Preferences > User Accounts.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i HAVE TRIED THE TWO OPTIONS THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME AND THEY DO NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
eVERY TIME i PUT in " .AppleSetupDone" the response is that AppleSetupDone is a directory and no such file or directory
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
May be you didn't write the commands correctly. Try it again...,

mount<space>-uw<space>/<enter/return>
rm<space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<enter/return>
shutdown<space>-h<space>now<enter/return>

Best Regards,