Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

My brother printer keeps saying offline and wont let me pr

My brother printer keeps saying offline and wont let me print.
First, there are a few questions I'd like you to answer so I can better help understand the problem.

1) What type of Mac (ie iMac, PowerBook, etc) and how old is it?

2) What is the Operating System (ie 9.2, 10.5.8, etc)? This info can be found in the apple menu, "About this Mac".

3) What model Brother printer is it?

4) Have you recently installed anything new, updated the computer, upgraded OS or software? Did you start noticing the problem after a specific event took place?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's a Macbook, (the small white one) which I bought refurbished from a vender on ebay. I don't know how old it is. The operating system is OS X 10.5.7. It's actually my daughters computer so I don't think she updated the computer, or the software but she did install Word. I don't know which version but she got it from her Dad. It printed after the installation. She spilled a drink on her computer last week which caused it to shut down temporarily but it restarted a bit later. The drink spilled by the USB ports but the charger is working. The Brother printer is the HL-2040.
Liquid and electronics don't mix...

Did she shut the computer down right away and let it dry thoroughly before turning the computer back on?

Is it possible to connect the printer via a different port than the USB which was in contact with the liquid?

Are you getting the offline error on the computer or on the printer itself?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No she didn't shut it down right away-I've been preaching to the choir regarding liquid and Mac in close proximity. I don't know which other port I could use but I'm going to connect my computer and see if it prints. I'm getting the offline error on the computer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm getting the offline error on my computer as well
If the following suggestions, work please let me know and you can Accept the answer. If not, please do not Accept the answer, instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Ok, then it may be an issue with the printer or the cable. We'll work from there. Doubting it is a driver related error as it is occurring on both computers.

First, let's rule out the USB cable (it may have encountered a short during the spillage incident). Can you use a different cable and connect the printer to your computer? If so, shut down the printer. Unplug the power cable and let the printer sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then plug it back in, plug the USB cable in and connect it to your computer, THEN power it on. In that order. Does it still say offline?

If so, try this next, disconnect the printer from the new USB cable. Power off the printer and open front cover. Press and hold "go" while powering on. Once the three led's are lit, release "go" button. Now press "go" two times. Led's should light solid. Once lit solid, press "go" five more times. Shut the printer down. Reconnect the printer via USB cable to your computer. Turn the printer back on.

Let me know if the printer says online now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have another USB cable so I will go to Best Buy a little later and get one and then I'll try your suggestions. I'll get back to you later.
No problem, just keep me posted and Good Luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did both but the computer still says offline.Any other thoughts?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went into the printer settings and deleted the jobs in the queue and selected a different printer. Apparently Hana's dad has the same printer as I do and it was set on his. So it works andmy computer works as well.
Let me verify, the printer now works on your computer but still not on the laptop?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Both computers are working.
Great! Glad you were able to get it running again. Please let me know if you run into any more problems and if you have time, please leave me feedback so JustAnswer can better rate your experience.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay and thanks again!