MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

when I plug in my usb drive it shows as read only. How can

when I plug in my usb drive it shows as read only. How can I change that so I can write to it as well?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Can you provide me the model of the USB Drive? (are you referring to a Jumpdrive or an External hard drive)
• Have you been using this drive and have formatted it previously or have you just begun using it?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OS > 10.6.1

The usb drive isa seagate ST90000U2 160 GB. I have used it before mostly in windows pc's. I believe i just began using it. It was quite awhile ago
Thanks for your reply.

If the Seagate was used for windows PCs then it may not be in the correct format for your Mac.

The correct format would need to be either MS-DOS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formats in order to be able to effectively use the external drive on the Mac.

Is it currently in NTFS format by chance?

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it probably is in NTFS. Should I refromat it in FAT32
You can do that, by going through Disk Utility.

*To get to Disk Utility:
• From your desktop,
•Click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Utilities from the
drop-down menu. This will take you to your Utilities folder.

• Locate and launch the Disk Utility application

Now from here once you connect your hard drive to your Mac, Disk Utility will display the drive on left side window in the application.

Next, click on the Erase tab and select either MS-DOS or Mac OS X Extended proceed from there.

graphic

• Now keep in mind as well, you can also select to partition the hard drive if you so
desire before you set to reformat the hard drive.

Let me know if this helps.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I want to use it with windows pc's I should format it in DOS correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have reformatted it as DOS, but when I try to copy a file to it I get the folowing message:

The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occured (error code 0)

What's going on?
Bear with me, dsin938, i am with you. I am just looking further into this issue for you, so
I will be with you in about 10 minutes. thanks!

-Terry
Thanks for you patience.

Now did you erase and reformat your hard drive within Disk Utility ?

Edited by MacTechTrainer on 10/9/2009 at 1:37 AM EST
Hello dsin938,
Just an update to let you know I am still here watching for your reply, so please feel free to keep me posted.

I am glad to assist you on this issue. Thanks!

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did use the disk utility. However when I tried to copy a file which happenned to be 11 GB, it gave me an Error code of 0. When I looked thst u ot was an issue that FAT32 does not allow files larger than about 4GB. So I reformated it in NTFS and I downloaded a utlity that allowed me to see NTFS volumes on a MAC. At that point I was able to copy the large file to it. Thank you for your help. Even though I figured out the issue. I could not have done it without you pointing out that since the drive was NTFS I probably couldn't write on it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not a problem, catalyst or resolver, I am just glad you got the issue corrected.

By the way, would you mind sharing that link with me, where you acquired the utility which enabled you to see and access NTFS Volumes on Macs?

I think that would be a great tool to have available to refer to other Mac users who may experience the same NTFS /Fat32 issues you have.

Thanks again, for allowing me to assist you. If there is anything else I can do or provide in the way of information, please feel free to reply back to this post.

Regards,

Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

here is the link to Paragon's product

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I have heard of Paragon, thanks! I will look it up for more information.

Considering the outcome, so I can close this consult, would you like to Accept my answers in assisting you today or receive information on having your deposit refunded.

It is ok either way for me, resolutions first payment later ( if I have earned it). The main factor here is that you like our service and hope that you come visit us again whenever you have Mac technical questions.

Thanks again for the Paragon link and for allowing me to help you!

Warmest regards,

-Terry (Mactechtrainer)
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years