John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I had an excel file imported from a PC to my Mac Book pro -

Customer Question

I had an excel file imported from a PC to my Mac Book pro - I bought my computer a year ago and have the latest version of excel. When I look at the file, it is fine, but when I copy (simply cut and paste) it into a new file in either the latest form of excel or the one preceeding it, it changes the dates both the year and the day of the week - it makes the years several years later and the date one day later. The month is fine. Please help - I have a huge audit to do with these files and cannot go in and change the date one at a time

Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Ok, you probably have the date set as year 1900 in one file and 1904 in the other.

What you need to do is open that file, and go to Preferences then under the Calculation tab uncheck (or check) the box next to "1904 Date system". Click OK.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your answer sounds logical - but I am a newphyte in computers and especially Macs - when you say open the file, do I click on and pull it up, and then go to preferences - where do I find that?
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the accept.

Yes you need to start Excel then go to the File > Open menu command to select your file and open it. Or you can double click on the file's icon from outside Excel to open it.

The Preferences in Mac's Excel is under the Edit menu. If you need further assistance please let me know the exact version of your Excel application.