Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My G5 will not startup. When I press the power on button it

My G5 will not startup. When I press the power on button it lights for a second then goes out. The machine starts to spin then goes quite. If I let it sit for awhile (5 minutes or longer) I can here the fans starting to speed up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you see anything on your monitor ?

When did this problem started ?

Edited by Ashik on 10/3/2009 at 4:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Never shows anything on the monitor. The power on light only comes on for a second and then the fans slow down, then nothing.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
What type of Mac is it ? iMac G5 or ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
G5 tower
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I have two suggestions...i hope it will solve the problem

Reset the SMU (System Management Unit) : Click Here

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DID not work. All that happens is quick sound of the fans starting and then a low hum. It doesn't even show on the monitor.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry to say that this is a hardware issue..It may be because of Logic board or Power supply. It might requires an repair or replacement of either Logic board or Power Supply. Since this is a hardware issue, only Apple can help you.

If i'm right then there is a chance that the issue is related to the PRAM battery and it might be dead. Ask Apple about the PRAM battery before going to Logic board or Power Supply.

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 10/3/2009 at 7:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Changed the battery and still get same. I have noticed that after about 5 minutes it wil start speeding up the fans, but never starts up. I have even opened the DVD drive (manually) and inserted the OS X DVD to start up and it won't turn the DVD drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Like i said, that is a hardware issue..I see this issue on many Macs (mostly from the customers like you in JustAnswer) and it can only be fixed with the help of Apple.

Since you already tried SMU and PRAm reset, there is nothing we can do....

Sorry,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I narrow down which it could be?
How do I determine if it's one or te other?
Is it worth the cost to repair and any idea how much it would cost?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
First make sure the sound is coming from the Power Supply ??

Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fans are spinning slowly. Anything else?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure whether the problem is with Power Supply or with Logic Board.

Replacing of Power Supply will cost from 150$-400$ and replacing of Logic board will cost from $300-xxxx$ (I'm not sure about the correct price, but they both are very costly)

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
If you can hear buzzes, beeps, or humming sounds, then it might be the Power Supply.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Really suprises me that apple would put something on the market with that big of a defect. Naturally it did not go out under my Apple Care period. This is the first MAC I have ever had that has had a major problem ike this. I am still running a 9600 and a G3 that never have problems.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yeah..its really surprises...

And you're still using 9600, thats great !

Okay...If you have the Apple Care (3 years extended warranty), Apple will replace your Logic Board or Power Supply for free...

(You can check your Warranty status from here with your Mac's Serial Number)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Looks like it was bought in 2004. warranty was 3 years so thats not going to help.
Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Send it to the Apple and they will fix it...Since that is a Power Mac G5 its worth it...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
May be to expensive. I found a used one for $599. Do you think I will have the same problems?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..
Could you please give me the link for the Mac that you found ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a local MAC dealer here in St. Louis.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Which mac ? Intel or PPC ?

I think it is better to buy a Intel Mac, because Intel is powerful than PPC and it supports Snow Leopard.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure that I care about Snow Leopard at this time. I am a graphic designer and do alot of packaging, catalogs and illustration work. No web stuff.
I guess I better accept this so you can get paid. Thanks for the ideas. Like I said, I have been around MACs for a long long time so I know most of the fixes. Just wasn't sure about the new ones. I have G4's and a MacBook Pro that i use most but I have a storage room full of older machines. Even a Classic with the 5" screen.
My regular email is dennis@drbgraphics if you need any older parts.
Thanks again.
Dennis