Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

hello, having problems with booting my intell-mac. My mac

Customer Question

having problems with booting my intell-mac. My mac became unstable about one week after updating to snow leopard. Now I only a get gray screen and I've tried to boot into safe mode, which doesn't work. Also can't boot from install disk. When I run safe mode and see what's going on the command line gets to the following and stops (2.0.46 m168efe17). I can repair my own mac, but I don't what to just start replacing stuff before I have some idea as to what is the cause. I'm very experience with windows, but I've had this mac for about three years and never had a problem before this one. I would like to get to a command line but not sure how to do this??? Since safe mode is not getting pass the line 2.0.46 m168efe17 statement. At this point it just hangs there and that's it --- nothing else takes place. I can power off and try again but get the same result each time. Nothing else is working to get my mac booted.

Bob T.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
Did you see a folder with a question mark ?

What happens when you boot from your disk ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

From the disk -- it starts to load but after a few mins then nothing (just stops and hangs) and still in gray screen.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I think your System Files are corrupted. Please try the troubleshooting steps :

Run Disk Utility from Single User Mode
Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple or Alt) key and the S keys at the same time.

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok I have already done this but will do again while I wait for more (didn't make any difference when I did this last night)

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Reset the PRAM and NVRAM , then run the Disk Utility..If that didn't worked then Reset the PRAM again and boot into your disk and then run Disk Utility from the disk.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the "OPTION " key. Release the key when you see the startup manager. You can see the CD drive icon or Mac OS X installation disk in the window. Select it and press "Return or enter" key. Now your Mac will boot into Mac OS X startup disk. Then Run the Disk Utility from it :

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Best Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I got to the part about booting from my install disk and it was working behind the grey screen, but it has now stopped and nothing else is happening. Just hanging in place and I only see the grey screen.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Are you sure that the disk is in good condition ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes that's correct and,

It was booting from the install disk but now has stopped. I have a grey screen with the apple logo and a stopped wheel.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Are you trying the Leopard disks or Snow Leopard disks ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
snow leopard disk
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the Leopard disks ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I can try this
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay...Please try with Leopard disks....

Edited by Ashik on 10/3/2009 at 1:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok same result as with the snow leopard disks --- hangs up on the grey screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
What happens when you run Disk Utility in Single User Mode ? Any Errors ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
after running fsck -fy the volume for my hd was ok and I'm still at the command line if I need to run anything else from here. It did say that the file system was modified.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Lets try to create new user account and see if you can log-in to that account:
  • Reboot your Mac
  • Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

Please let me know how it goes....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok got that done and what do I do now??
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Restart your Mac and can you see a screen asking to ceate new account like when you setup your Mac for first time ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not happening--- same situation starts to boot from the grey screen and then hangs

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay...i'm out of ideas..I have only one suggestion...Reinstall your Mac OS X from another Mac using Firewire cable ?

So my question,

Do you have another Mac and a Firewire cable ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes have mac mini with leopard installed on it. Do I just hook the two together or what?

And was wondering if I could format my disk from the command line and start with a new install. I have everything backed up on my timemachine disk.

I would need the correct commands for the second option.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Yes...hook the two Macs together with Firewire cable and start your Mac in Target Disk Mode and your Mac's hd will show on your other Mac's desktop. So start installing the OS on your other Mac and choose the HD of your Mac in 'Destination' screen...

No, You can't erase your HD in Single User Mode (Command), because it is a part of your Mac OS X and it is stored on the HD. Mac's are not like Windows, in Windows you can erase your hard disk with the help of a bootable disk/floppy. But in Mac OS X you must use the installation disks to format. Since you can't boot from the disk, TDM is the only way to fix your problem.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the help I give that a try.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer and the bonus...Greatly Appreciated !

If you have time, please give me a Positive Feedback to me...I hope it will work. Good Luck !

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 10/3/2009 at 3:23 PM EST