John P
John P, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  13+ Years of Exp, Mac and Apple Enthusiast

In July 2008, I purchased a 15 Macbook Pro Laptop. About

Customer Question

In July 2008, I purchased a 15" Macbook Pro Laptop. About 4 months later, a 'chirping' sound began. It was a sequence of 5 'chirps'... pause.... 5 'chirps'.

I called Tech Support, and we tried everything. I happened to travel to an Apple Store where I made an appointment to have my laptop looked over. It didn't 'chirp' the entire time while being looked at. Nothing could be found wrong.

As the problem didn't go away, finally, I shipped it off to Apple again, and again, technicians tested it and found nothing wrong. They adjusted the 'fan' speeds just to make sure it wasn't overheating.

Finally, since I was under warrenty, they gave me a brand new, 2009 Macbook Pro. I received it late June 2009.

Now, approximately 4 months later, the 'chirping' has began again! On this new computer. I used TimeMachine on external hard drive to transfer all my old information to my new Macbook Pro.

WHY DOES MY COMPUTER 'CHIRP'???
Category: Mac
Expert:  John P replied 4 years ago.
This is almost certainly a hard drive issue. When the spindle spins, some of the drives Apple sold with the Macbook Pro have a chirping sound. What they should have tried is replacing the hard drive.
John P, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: 13+ Years of Exp, Mac and Apple Enthusiast
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not understand and I hope I do not have to pay for more information.

Are you saying the 2008 models AND the 2009 models of Macbook Pro have faulty hard drives? Hard Drives that 'chirp'?

When I called Apple Tech Support in 2008, they hadn't heard of 'chirping' sounds with a Macbook Pro. We tried everything and THEN after A YEAR OF TRYING TO SOLVE THE MYSTERIOUS 'CHIRP'...THEY GAVE ME A NEW 2009 MODEL.

Is this a frequent problem? Or am I just 'lucky' to get two years worth of faulty hard drives in a Macbook Pro?
Expert:  John P replied 4 years ago.

I'll see if I can reference it with online material so you know I'm not making this up. Give me a moment.