Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

my new macbook pro wont connect to the internet

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

How are you trying to connect to the Internet?

Wired? Wireless?

Do you know the version of OS X on your MacBook?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.5.8 mac os x and its wired internet
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

And you can ping Internet sites? But cannot go to them with a URL?

Go to your Network Prefs and click on Ethernet.

Click on the Advanced button on the right, then on DNS tab.

What, if anything is in those fields?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i couldnt ping sites but i can ping the ip and
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Did you get the numbers, if any, from the DNS fields?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
only the set i put in 10.5.28.1
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm.

Try these instead and let me know:
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tried that and it didnt work and when i plug my internet in it picks up a totally different ip address
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK,

Weird.

What is the addres it gets?

What is the address you are entering yourself?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
169.254.108.197 is what it picks up and 10.5.28.1455is what its suppose to be
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
169.xxx.xxx.xxx is called a self-assigned IP Address.

That means there is no connection to a DHCP server.

What it sounds like, especially since you tried the manual entry, is either the ethernet is not connected, or the ethernet cord is bad.

Do you have a positive link when you connect the Ethernet cord to the router/switch?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im currently using the same cord but im browsing with my ps3
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The same cord works with the PS3?

Then I can only surmise the Mac has a bad Ethernet port.

Check the port carefully and make sure there are no pins crossed inside there.

If not that, try this to reset the hardware and restart and see if it helps.
To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R

The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes/restarts 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

If not, it needs to be evaluated by an Apple tech so it can be determined if the port has failed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that didnt work thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

I would seriously check to see if Apple can do anything. At least test it on another network and make sure of the port.

Other than that, the router may be blocking that port, it may have a IP address filter, anything else could be wrong, but I am sure it would still get an IP address.