Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

driver update samsung ml 1630 for mac OS 10.5.5

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

HI,

To use your printer with OSX 10.5.5 you will need to try downloading and using a Cups printer driver like Splix which you can get from here http://www.guigo.us/mac/splix/

Just download the Cups file to your desktop and then run the installer and try to install the printer using the cups driver and let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
TO: Claws224
Yes, I did get your answer and was pleasantly surprised by the promptness of your response.
I'd have been delighted if it had led to a solution. Didn't.

I went to the website as you indicated, and went through their required song and dance, and pressed the 'button' for download. Nothing came through. Did several searches through my Mac, and found Nothing, Zip, Nada from the download.
Tried this twice, same resuts, gave up.

If you have another answer, I'll give IT a try.

Thanks for trying to help.

Norm
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

So the downlad link was broken when you clicked the folder on the left side?

If so can you try following this link and trying Darios method as it is the only other way to get this to work if you cannot download the Guigo file http://research.tannerpages.com/Blog/Good-Samartin-Blog/ML-1610-Printer-on-Mac-OS-X--10-4----Tiger--on-an-Intel-iMac

Let me know how you get on and if you have any issues.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.

I tried to implement your suggested path to a repair, and once again got stuck up to my axles.
Actions and results follows:
ACTION RESULTS
1. Downloaded "espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg" Accomplished
2. Entered the URL "foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.ppc.dmg" Got Msg; "Safari can’t open the page “http://foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.ppc.dmg/” because Safari can’t find theserver “foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.ppc.dmg”".
3. Inserted www into above URL Got a page from my Server listing irrelevant websites

4. Used truncated URL Got "foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.src.tar" Chanced that this might be close enough; installed it.

5. Entered the URL "hpijs-2.7.10-UB.dmg " Got a Folder with installation 'Boxes"
6. Clicked on the "Install" box Got STALL, and incessant beeping, which could only be stopped by powering down.

7. ReBooted and repeated above step ` Same results

My Samsung ML-1630 is still blocked: Msg "Printer is Offline" still appears.

What now?

Norm [email protected]
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Hmmm,

Were you ever able to get Splix to download, If so we may be able to reset your printing system then try a fresh install.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a compressed SPLIX did download, but when I clicked on it (while it seemed to function) I could NOT find SPLIX program anywhere on my MacMini.
I guess it downloaded to another dimension.

Norm
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If it mounted and you then installed it it should have put the CUPS drivers into your printer folder so you can use it as an available printer driver.

If you go to system preferences then remove your Samsung printer can you then go back and add a new printer and tell it to use the CUPS driver which should be in the list for your Samsung.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did as you indicated.
Seemed to be no prob.
EXCEPT there was NO "CUPS" anywhere in the DropDown PrinterDriver Listing.
Seeing no better option, I chose the "Samsung ML-1630 driver and re-set it into the Printer List.

No hiccups, no Burps, No printing either.

Gitta hit the Sack.

G'Night,

See you tomorrow.

Norm
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Were there no options for splix or cups at all?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not a one!

Norm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would have been delighted to pay your (modest) fee, IF your suggestions had worked.
Unfortunately for both of us, they didn't (as a review of our correspondence reveals).

If any further possibilities arise in your experienced mind, Please send them (it), and I'll continue to try.

Sympathies, and Best Regards,

Norm