Thanks for your patience.
I tried to implement your suggested path to a repair, and once again got stuck up to my axles.
Actions and results follows:
1. Downloaded "espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg" Accomplished
2. Entered the URL "foomatic-rip-220.127.116.11.ppc.dmg" Got Msg; "Safari can’t open the page “http://foomatic-rip-18.104.22.168.ppc.dmg/” because Safari can’t find theserver “foomatic-rip-22.214.171.124.ppc.dmg”".
3. Inserted www into above URL Got a page from my Server listing irrelevant websites
4. Used truncated URL Got "foomatic-rip-126.96.36.199.src.tar" Chanced that this might be close enough; installed it.
5. Entered the URL "hpijs-2.7.10-UB.dmg " Got a Folder with installation 'Boxes"
6. Clicked on the "Install" box Got STALL, and incessant beeping, which could only be stopped by powering down.
7. ReBooted and repeated above step ` Same results
My Samsung ML-1630 is still blocked: Msg "Printer is Offline" still appears.