MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

i trashed and then deleted an imovie can i recover

i trashed and then deleted an imovie can i recover this file...thanks
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What version of iMovie are you using?

• Finally, when you deleted the imovie file, to make sure I am following you, you removed that file to the Trash on the dock and then deleted the files including the iMovie file in that Trash, do I have this correct?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

imovie 6

i put file in trash and then emptied trash....then tried to pull out of trash after I realized it was deleting file....i pulled out file but is is now dv clips in they must have been deleted....

Thanks for your reply,

So you were in process of deleting the file, tried to pull that movie file out, only to retrieve it empty, correct?

Sorry for the questions, but want to be real sure and get an idea as to if the trash deletion was already in effect when you tried to recover that file.

Thanks I will await your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry about delay....

yes it was deleting the trash and then i saw that was the file being deleted so i canceled deletion and dragged file back onto harddrive...when opened it was empty (no dv clips - where there was at least 75 of them)
Thank you for your reply and update. I was honestly hoping that what you described, was not the case.
Now that I know what you attempted in retrieving the iMovie file from the Trash, I can explain exactly
what has occurred.

Although you made a valiant attempt to halt the deletion process, unfortunately, you were not fast enough. The reason I know this is
because I too have done the same thing. Regretfully, at this point
the Trash did its job too well. The file has been partially deleted and unless you can open iMovie and locate the file (you will have to put the file on your Desktop)to attempt to discover it, there is not much you will be able to do from just within your Mac. The only solution I could provide you is a software solution. There is an excellent file recovery software for under $100USD, called File Salvage 6.1.5. The website for this file recovery software is

I realize this us not much, but given the circumstances, this is honestly the best recommendation I can make to help you in this situation.

If you have more questions please reply back to this post and I will be more than happy to field more of your questions on this subject.

Thanks so much for you patience!

Warmest Regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your honest answer.....if I go the $100 route with buying the software what are the odds I'll be able to recover the complete imovie file....give me your best shot....I'll need to determine how many hours it will take me to reconstruct the imovie i accidentally deleted....the $100 is worth it if I know I'll get it nearly all back with good certainty....if not I'll just start over....

Thanks...I await your thoughts...thanks
Thank you for your reply. As a professional Mac Technician, I never make guarantees with any software. But what I do come from, is a place of experience. I have used File Salvage' earlier version v4.2, and was able to successfully recover an accidentally deleted ITunes Music library, all 6GB of it. The v6.1.5 of File Salvage is faster more powerful than v.4.2 and supports Universal Binary (both PowerPC & Intel processor Macs), so that is the best account of it's ability and viability for file recovery processing. I personally would recommend any Mac User get a copy of this recovery software, just an emergency File Undelete contingency.

I hope this helps. Thank you for allowing me to help you thus far.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your responses and help.....I trust once I talk with my wife we'll get a least just for backup in the future....thanks again for your help
Thanks so much for the acceptCustomer I sure would have liked to do more, but because of experience with this same thing and knowing what it takes, to recover from it, there was no other alternative. I tell you what however, if your wife is ok with getting a copy of the recovery application, please feel free to request me (Mactechtrainer) and I will be glad to walk through the process with you, if you like.

It would be my pleasure indeed!

Warmest Regards,