Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

so frustrating. installed a security update on my ibook g3

Customer Question

so frustrating. installed a security update on my ibook g3 and tried to restart it. now just a blue screen. will not go into safe mode. followed all sorts of advice on what to do when you get a blue screen with no success. i am not a computer whiz. why do these security updates do this??? i will NOT install another. How do i get my computer back on???
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Do you have the install disks close by?
What OS X is on the machine?
What model iBook G3 is it? When was it built?
For not being a whiz you did some good stuff.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am on the hunt for the install disks. Ironically, this was a computer I picked up off Craigslist to use while my "real" computer, an ibook g4 was being fixed. I am in disbelief that it is now out of commission since my work depends on these computers!!

I really do not know much info about it. I think, think it was running 10.4.1 or something along those lines. On the back it does say 2002 along with some other information.

If only I can get it into safe mode I think all would be well, at least I could get my pertinent info off of it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
All is not lost. Under the keyboard is the serial number and processor speed. With that I can help restore it to operation.
There are two pull back clips over the delete and the number 1 keys that will allow the keyboard to be rotated towards you. There may be a small round magnet that comes with it make sure to put it back in the hole so the keyboard fits back in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are awesome!

ok it says 600mhz, 128mb/20gb/cd I think this is the serial number: uv2201fflq0.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok then do the following and let me know.
  1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC power adapter.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and release the reset button (shown here) located above the Audio/Video port on the left side of the iBook (Dual USB) computer by inserting the end of a paper clip into the small hole and gently pressing the switch once.
  5. Wait 5 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the AC power adapter.
  7. Put the battery back in the computer.
  8. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

Reset button on iBook (Dual USB) computer. Note: The red dot shows the button's location. The button is not actually red.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have examined this thing completely. I do not see a reset button.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok wrong model. Sorry. There are many different models of the iBook and some overlap. I suppose I have lost all credibility with you now.
Try this way.

For iBook (16 VRAM) and later models of iBook, there is no physical reset button.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
  3. Wait 5 seconds.
  4. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that earlier with no success, just did it again, nothing. I get the blue screen with the lil whirly gray spinner ever so often popping up for a split second or two. Nothing else. All of this because of a security update. I am so not happy.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
What kind and how fast a machine are we conversing on? I have an idea but it depends on your answer to that question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its an ibook g4 1064mgz - is that what you need? the dvd/cd drive is not working at the moment so downloading and burning anything on this is not an option. I do have access to several pc's if need be.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

That machine would have been perfect except for the DVD drive being toast but if you have a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable we may still be in business.

If you do start the G3 in Target mode by starting it and holding the 'T' key down. Connect the two computers together so that the G3 mounts as an external hard drive, The on the G4 open Disk Utility located in Applications/Utilities and do the following.

This is a screen shot of mine your window will look the same but be populated differently. Click on the Firewire drive that is hard against the left side of the list column then click on Repair Permissions.

graphic

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In addition to hunting for my disks I am also asking around for a firewire...
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
At this point that is the best hope.