MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

OS Mac X 10.6.1 - Just purchased a new computer and used Migration

OS Mac X 10.6.1 - Just purchased a new computer and used Migration Assistant to duplicate all files and applications. Now find that there is a clash between new and old when I try to open Microsoft Office on both machines. Have Home and Student version of Office for Mac 2008 and want to add additional Product Key. How do I add an additional License code to the new computer?
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

I believe I have seen this issue before especially with the Microsoft Office for Mac products during a migration with Mac OS X

• When you are performing a data migration between two Macs more often than not, when it comes to 3rd party Mac software (Non- Apple branded software products), the
master application will not transfer over correctly all the time. Now the files that you have created with that primary application, in this case Microsoft Office for Mac, those files will transfer over fine. You may see the Microsoft Office for Mac applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage) appear as transferred on the new Mac.

But more times than not, there will be some conflict, just as you are experiencing with the application opening correctly.

So what I would recommend you first do, is uninstall the Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 from your new Mac and reinstall the application suite back onto the Mac. A fresh install on your new Mac, should allow for better operability.

To correctly unistall Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Teacher & Student edition, here is what you will need to do:

Open a new Finder window
• Go into the Applications folder
• Locate and open the Microsoft for Office 2008 folder
•Once in that folder, locate and open Additional Tools folder
Now you will locate and open Remove Office folder
• This is the icon you need to locate

• Click that icon and allow this utility to safely remove all of the MS Office software components from your Mac.

• Once this is complete, reinstall the Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Teacher & Student edition software and see if this is the fix you need.

If I can finally add anything else to this, I would say that the reason you may have been experiencing the issue with your office copy could be relative to a permissions issue which could impact why it was not working on the new Mac. To give you an example of what I mean, it is like twins each having a room, they may look exactly alike, but their wants and desires are different. So in lay terms, the permissions from the old Mac were probably not received by the permissions of your newer Snow Leopard installed Mac.

I hope this helps. Thank you for your patience!

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply back to this post.

Best Regards,

Edited by MacTechTrainer on 10/2/2009 at 7:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - partly due to the time difference her in the UK but also the week-end got in the way.

Thanks for the advice which I followed to the letter. However, the issue is not quite resolved. The re-loaded Mocrosoft Office is acquiring a Historic Product Key from somewhere on the Mac. Re-installing the software, despite a complete un-install, does not bring up the window requiring a product key as it would for a first time installation of Microsoft Office. Consequently, I cannot make use of my 3 Product keys across the network having removed one computer and added the new "migrated" iMac.

Any suggestions as to where this Product Key information is lurking?
I too apologize for the delay. I have been checking for a time now, how to resolve this issue for you.

Considering this is a Microsoft Product even though it has been made for the Mac, it is just like Windows versions of Microsoft Office, it is like looking for a needle in the proverbial haystack.

But to update you to present, I have found this article from a Mac User just like yourself who has a possible workaround to resolve this issue, that I would recommend you take a look at.

Lost the Product Key for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac?

I will in the mean time still be researching this issue for you. Please update me when you are able to and let me know if this article helped.

Thanks so much for your patience and I will be checking back with you again, as I find more information for your request.